StoreEver Tape Storage
1753990 Members
7664 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: All LEDs blinking when powered, no communication to computer (HP LTO-6 Ultrium 6250)

melvintorrens

All LEDs blinking when powered, no communication to computer (HP LTO-6 Ultrium 6250)

I moved to a new office and brought this drive with me. It was in working order at the previous location a few hours before, but once plugged in at the second location all LEDs start to blinking (including the power button). No fan spinning and there is a tape inside. Buttons do not react to anything. I suspect the different locations current has caused some malfunction as I was very careful during the transport and it was well protected.

• This is an external version and out of warranty. Is there a way to open the enclosure to check if there's anything obvious that is broken?
  • Is there a hard reset somewhere?
  • All LEDs blinking is not documented in the manuals troubleshooting section, so I guess it's not booting up properly?

3 REPLIES 3
Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

Re: All LEDs blinking when powered, no communication to computer (HP LTO-6 Ultrium 6250)

Is this a standalone drive?  It sounds like it from your description.

All lights blinking does indicate that the drive isn't powering up correctly.  If there are no fans spinning that sounds like there might be a problem with the 12V power from the power supply.  The tape drive controller runs off of 5V and can power up to blink the LEDs but requires 12V for the motors and the fan is attached directly to the 12V power and should always turn on.

You indicate the drive has a tape in it.  A tape drive should never be powered off or moved with a tape in the drive but they are designed to tolerate both conditions so I don't think that is your problem.  Usually powering off a tape drive with a tape in it just means a lot longer power on time as the drive runs through a lot of extra testing.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

melvintorrens

Yes, it's a standalone version. As the power supply is inside the enclosure
I think I'm going to need to open the case if I can figure out how. I might
then be able to power it with a standard PSU. Thank you Curtis for the
power details. I might give it a try at the old office to see if it works
there.
--

------------------
Melvin Torrens

Personal Info Erased

Koski Syväri
Henry Fordin katu 6B
00150 Helsinki, Finland

imekul
Occasional Contributor

I'm having this exact same problem.  Did you figure out what waas wrong, @melvintorrens?

Anybody else -- any suggestions on what to check or try?  This is an external tape drive.  It was working fine, I told LTFS Configurator to eject the tape, and then the problem began.