cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

backing up workstations w/ Data Protector Express 4 sp1

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

backing up workstations w/ Data Protector Express 4 sp1

I just upgraded to the above version from Single Server edition as HP told me that is how I need to backup workstations. The software resides on an XP Pro machine and I wish to backup other XP workstations. I don't see where to do this, then find this in the manual:

"You must use the Data Protector Express Administrator, rather than the Data Protector Express service,
to back up mapped drives because mapped drives in Windows are related to a specific user. That is,
different users can have the same drive letter mapped differently. The Data Protector Express service must
be stopped for the backup of files on mapped drives to work properly.
NOTE:
The Data Protector Express service must be stopped to allow the proper backup of mapped drives. The
service cannot be running when you select mapped drives for backup because of the method Microsoft
uses to authenticate mapped drive access. If the Data Protector Express service is not stopped when you
select mapped drives for backup, the service will fail to authenticate to the selected mapped drives and they
will not be backed up. Because the Data Protector Express service must be stopped, you need to run Data
Protector Express in application mode (i.e., the Data Protector Express Administrator must be open when
the backup job is scheduled to occur) or the backup job will not run as scheduled."

Can anyone explain exactly what they are stating? Did we just blow $500 on nothing?

I look forward to any help.

Thanks!

A
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Regular Advisor

Re: backing up workstations w/ Data Protector Express 4 sp1

Hi A:

What HP Support is saying is that you need to set the access previlages for Data Protector Express - Windows services to be able to access the Mappped drive. (Note: Data Protector Express has the user previlages of whatever username was used to install the software). To access other Workstations, you need access previlages of the Administrator on the Workstation system.

Dave