4537 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Backupexec 11d / storageworks autoloader g2 232 1/8 / scsi ultra 320 g2 HBA

NalinU
Occasional Advisor

Backupexec 11d / storageworks autoloader g2 232 1/8 / scsi ultra 320 g2 HBA

Hi All,
The above config on a DL380 G4 running windows2K3 R2 ( !!!) has been running smoothly for about 6 months and suddenly stopped working.

Well the symptoms are the drive is sometimes locked the backup has failed after a few gig bytes etc.

I installed LTT and this shows that there are High SCSI polling rates on the ultrium tape drive.

I have reinstalled backup exec 11d and gone upto version 7170. This hasn't helped. Firmware on the autoloader is 1.7 and autoloader is P63W which to me seem the latest.

I am not sure where the problem is. The HBA firmware was downloaded updated as well.

After reinstalling the BEWS 11d and running a backup I see the job rate start at around 1000 Mb/Minute and fall down to 43MB/Minute and stagnate.

While the job is running the Autoloader front panel shows that it's idle. I am not sure where all the data the BEWS job monitor shows as being backed up neds up.

When I cancel a job it takes BEWS a long time to cancel a job. I can run an inventory and it works fine.

At the beginning of the job I can see the tape being loaded ad rewound from the autoloader front panel. After that even though the monitor shows activity at unbelievable job rates to start with nothing happens.

I work for a school and the backups now haven't worked for a week.

I don't know what to do next and any help would be gratefully accepted.

Please also let me know how I can configure the setting on the HBA. I ccan't acces this during boot up it looks like. RBSU down;t allow access to it and nor does ORCA. Is there a utility to change settings of the HBA ?
thanks
Nalin Uduwawala.
11 REPLIES 11
Luis Arias
Occasional Advisor

Hello Nalin,

LTT shows that message when the Plug and Play of Windows is sending commands from the tape device driver (HBA) to the tape device at the same time that the backup software is sending them. Of course if there are two commands being sent, one of them is the backup SW command causing those issues.
Please take a look on this MS article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;842411
Basically what you have to do is open the registry then go to HKEY_local_machine then system then currentcontrolset then services and then look for the HPLTO folder. Within that folder you have to add the entry as a SD_WORD value, AutoRun (case sensite), and leave the value on 0 (meaning off).
Then reboot the server and those commands are going to be gone.
NalinU
Occasional Advisor

Dear Luis,

Many thanks for your response and for your time. I will try this and come back to award you points.

Best Regards
Nalin.

NalinU
Occasional Advisor

Hi Luis,

I have carried out the process outlines above but I still have the same results from LTT.

It's complaining about High polling rates on the SCSI interface when I run a health check on the Ultrium Drive.

RSM is disabled now. I have also disabled Autorun TestUnitReady requests in the registry as advised by Microsoft and pointed out by Luis.

Just to complete the Message I have put forward the Driver details here.

SCSI card:
HP SCSI single channel Ultra320 G2: Uses a LSI driver in device manager though. LSI Logic 1.24.4

HP LTO Ultrium 1 Driver: HP 1.0.5.1

Autoloader driver: HP 1.6.0 Shows up as MSL G2 1*8 in device Manager even though what we have is 232 G2 1/8.

I am not sure where to go.
how can I debug scsi interface to find out where the polling is coming from ? Obviously soemthing is polling the Drive.

Thanks in advnace to anyone for their advice.
Regards
Nalin.

Note all the equipment in question are HP. I don't think this is a BackupExec issue anymore. I can't run a NT backup onthis device. so I need to findout what's causing the High polling Rates.
Luis Arias
Occasional Advisor

Hello Nalin,

All the drivers are up to date. Just some questions:
Did you reboot the server after apply the fix?
Did you use AutoRun (with the A & R upper case)?
Check the attachment that is how the registry should be after the fix.
Please run Device analysis and conectivity and extract the support ticket and save it with a new name, maybe you are seeing the previous info and that is way it says that you are still experiencing the high polling.

Regards,

Luis Arias
NalinU
Occasional Advisor

Hi Luis,

Well I did everything you pointed to including the AutoRun stuff in the registry.

I had two Tape units listed in the registry. HPlto and ltotape. I added entries to both places.

I rebooted the tape drive ( the server many times now) and soon after that the Warning / Error went away. But within minutes I saw the error message again, twice.

Is LTT reporting this stuff from one log inside the Drive or is it run everytime I do a Health Check ? I press the "heart" shaped button ? How do I know I have cleared the warning log before running the health check ?

tomorrow I plan to reinstall the OS if I don't get anywhere here and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help so far.

Best Regards
Nalin.

PS:

I have seen a lot of entries under HKLM\....Enum\SCSI a lot of entries for the ltotape entry for targetid:0 - 15. There is one for hplto for target id 4 which is how it is set up. I am not sure this is how it should be.
Nalin
Giancarlo Spadini

Check your SCSI termination. I have the same problem and I solve it changing the SCSI terminator the is burned.
NalinU
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

While terminator can cause issues I didn't have to replace this.

The prblem was thhe unmatched Bus speeds of DL380G4 and the HP HBA.

I am now using the same HBA on a DL380G5 w/o problems on the same autoloader !!!!.

Thanks to all
Nalin.
Ralph Hinton

Hello Nalin,
I think I have a similar problem.
Could you explain the fix you mention in your last post or give a link to the solution. Is it a registry fix or something else. It could help me and any other people with the problem.
Thanks for your help.
Ralph.
Baurzhan Zhumashev

All,

Can you tell me full steps on this issue.
How can I change HP HBA unmatched Bus speed ?? can someone give me full instractions
------------------------------------------

The prblem was thhe unmatched Bus speeds of DL380G4 and the HP HBA.

I am now using the same HBA on a DL380G5 w/o problems on the same autoloader !!!!.