StoreEver Tape Storage
1752767 Members
4941 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: backward compatibility between lto3 and lto4

Bence Olveczky

backward compatibility between lto3 and lto4

I have an LTO3 data tape that I would like to read on a HP Ultrium 4-SCSI drive, but when I try I get the error:

Error 4305: Block size is larger than the maximum allowed transfer size.

I need the data on the disk quite badly. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
bence
3 REPLIES 3
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

That error usually means that either your application isn't configured to support the block sizes that were used when the tape was written or your HBA doesn't support that block size.

If you are connected to a P212 SAS controller without any expansion memory then you will be limited to 64K transfer sizes which could be a problem. HP recommends that you have at least the 256M expansion memory on the P212 so you can use large block sizes.
Bence Olveczky

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The HBA (the card that is used to connect the ultrium drive to the computer) we have is the following: http://www.backupworks.com/ATTO-SAS-PCIe-H308.aspx

I can't find any info the block sizes supported by this card. P212 is HP's HBA, the one that we have is from ATTO.

Do you have any idea of how to configure DPE to support the correct block size, and how to find out the correct block size?

Thanks in advance.
Bence

That error usually means that either your application isn't configured to support the block sizes that were used when the tape was written or your HBA doesn't support that block size.

If you are connected to a P212 SAS controller without any expansion memory then you will be limited to 64K transfer sizes which could be a problem. HP recommends that you have at least the 256M expansion memory on the P212 so you can use large block sizes.
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

The ATTO SAS controller isn't a supported HBA for use with HP tape products. The only HBA's qualified for use with HP's tape products are some LSI cards and the various HP SAS controllers. It is possible that the ATTO doesn't support the block size you are trying to use. Do you know what block size was used to write the data to tape?