108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Basic Information on Tape Library

buchsderbaum
Occasional Visitor

Basic Information on Tape Library

Hello,

I need some basic information about how tape libraries work:

1.) For example, I send my files to a tape in slot 1. Would it be possible to create automatically backups of these files on tapes in slot 2 and 3, so that in the end I have three tapes with the same files on it?

2.) If I buy a product of HPE, no matter if it is a single tape drive or a tape library, is there any software included to manage my LTO-tapes? And is there a software/driver included to use the LTFS-File system on my workstation?

Thanks for answering my question!

Best regards

Buchsderbaum

3 REPLIES 3
Nitesh_123
HPE Pro

Hello @buchsderbaum,

Kindly use the below links to get basic information on Tape libraries:

Link:  Product Documentation

Hewlett Packard Enterprise Information Library

If this helps you resolving your issue, please click the thumb to register a Kudo.

If it resolves the issue, please consider marking it as an Accepted Solution.

Thanks and Regards,

@Nitesh_123

Accept or Kudo

Barry_Reider
HPE Pro

HPE Tape Libraries and drives are used in many different ways. There is no software included with the library or drives because there are so many different use models. Independant Software Vendors (ISV's) have many different solutions for backup and archive. Some of the popular ISV's for backup include Netbackup, BackupExec, CommVault, Veeam, Arcserve, and Data Protector. Which one is best depends on the complexity of the environment, the number and types of servers being backed up, and data types. Different vendors handle things in different ways, and picking a data protection ISV is a very important step in defining your backup solution.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
buchsderbaum
Occasional Visitor

Thank you very much for the detailed and helpful answer!

I want to start using the drive without any archive software, so that I only need access to the LTFS-System. Do I need a special software to use the LTFS-system or is there a simple driver included when I buy a HPE-LTO-drive?