StoreEver Tape Storage
1748073 Members
4548 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Can Data Protector Express restore DP backups?

SOLVED
Go to solution
HRM-LA
Occasional Contributor

Can Data Protector Express restore DP backups?

Hi,

Can Can Data Protector Express restore backups created with the "full" version, or do they use different algorithms?
6 REPLIES 6
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Drew:

Yes, DPX support restore the backed up data from both full backups and Incremental/Differential backup jobs.

I wonder why you are asking this question. The main purpose of backup software is to be able to restore the backed up data wheither the backup job was an incremental, differential, or full backup job.

If you are having problems restoring your data, please explain what type of problem you are having.

Dave W.
Guido Elia
Frequent Advisor

I think the question was different.
If he can restore a backup made by the full version of the software with the Express version
HRM-LA
Occasional Contributor

Guido's got it.. the client's data had been delivered to him by a company which doesn't exist anymore, and he wants to recover it.

By the way, this is the exact opposite of the answer I got from HP support yesterday. They said that in order to restore DP backups you need DP, not DPX.
D Wong
Regular Advisor
Solution

Hi Drew:

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

I did not know what software application you were talking about OpenView Data Protector or Storageworks Data Protector Express.

HP sells two completely different software products one called Storageworks Data Protector Express and a completely different software product call OpenView Data Protector.

OpenView Data Protector and Storageworks Data Protector Express are completely different software products. The backup formats for the two software products are not compatible.

Data Protector Express Single Server Edition is a backup software version given away free with the purchase of a tape drive or tape device product from HP. There is also a Data Protector Express full edition which allows one to add more backup job options to the software product. The two version of Data Protector Express are fully compatible and the backup jobs can be interchanged between the two versions.

Dave W.
HRM-LA
Occasional Contributor

I wasn't familiar with the OpenView line. Was it acquired from a different company? The client was told something along the lines of the product been discontinued.

That is in line with what HP has told me, though. HP just maximized confusion, since on their web pages there's no reference to OpenView:
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/software/im/biz_continuity_avail/dp/index.html

Btw, if OpenView DP and DPX are two discrete products, which one is this forum for?

Thanks!
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Drew:

This HP Forum supports both Storageworks Data Protector Exress and the Openview Data Protector software versions.

Data Protector Express (DPX) current version is 4.0 SP1.

Data Protector current version is 6.1.

The two software products are supported two different teams the Openview team and Storageworks Nearline team.

Dave W.