StoreEver Tape Storage
1752290 Members
4736 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Can I backup only extension that I need by using HPDLTTape VS1 Data Cartridge?

Kheng Sarath
Occasional Contributor

Can I backup only extension that I need by using HPDLTTape VS1 Data Cartridge?

When I do backup by using HPDLTTape VS1 Data Cartridge Backup Device with Data Protector Express 3.50-sp2 software, can I backup only the entension that I want to backup? Example, if I want to backup only file type as Micrsoft Word and Excel, but for file type as JPEG,MPEG,MP3,DAT, I don't want to backup it. So how can I do if I want to do like this by using HPDLTTape VS1 Data Cartridge Backup Device? does it has any option that let me do like what I need. Thank you in advance for someone who can help me to answer this question.
1 REPLY 1
thomasr
Respected Contributor

Re: Can I backup only extension that I need by using HPDLTTape VS1 Data Cartridge?

Hello -- I'm sorry for having taken a while to answer this; I've had testing this in my list of "things to do" for a while now...

Yes, you can. In Data Protector Express when you get to the selection page (where you can expand the file system to select servers or directories on servers), just above the files area, you'll see two boxes, one with a check mark, one without (used to 'select all' or 'select none'). Just to the *left* of those is an odd icon which I can't remember well enough to describe now... but if you click it, it will bring up a box where about mid-way down you can select wildcards to use. Select type "DOS", and the wildcard expressions you use will look like, *.doc, *.xls, ... whatever extensions you want to back up.

Or, if you know you want to back up everything except jpeg, mpeg, ... there's a "not" option as well.
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence