StoreEver Tape Storage
1748181 Members
3984 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Dat 72SCSI not compressing

Dunbar St.Paul

Dat 72SCSI not compressing

Had a Dat 72 USB that took 4 days to backup 50 GB on a 2003 SBS Server. Installed a new Dat72 SCSI - using Backupexec 11d - the software doesn't compress and kicks out the tape after 36GB - using 72GB HP Tapes
10 REPLIES 10
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

36GB is the native capacity of a Dat 72.
It offers 72GB only when 'assuming 2:1 compression'.
So you have to check how to initialize the compression - have you announced 'hardware compression' in backupexec?

Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
Dunbar St.Paul

Yes - I went into the properties of the device and enabled compression
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Did you use the same program to backup to the old usb dat?
Have you been able to backup all to one dat tape there?
Your os is win 2003?

Have you downloaded the last drivers for the scsi dat?

V.
Dunbar St.Paul

I think I've done everything by the book - I downloaded new drivers yesterday - the backup is running at 220MB/minute so I feel like it's the right and current drivers for the device - which it identifies as a C7438A

When I run L&TT compression test is says "Before running the test, L&TT determined that your hardware compression algorithm is switched off - this was probably set by your backup software. The test shows a compression rate of 2.2 to 1
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi again,

well, your test says, '... that your hardware compression algorithm is switched off - this was probably set by your backup software.'
Maybe you should open a call at HP or ask in the forum of your os.
Sorry can't help you more.

Volkmar
cadrrg

I have the exact same HP StorageWorks Dat72 USB (C7438A) ang also get the same error message. (Before running this test, L&TT determined that your hardware compression algorithm is switched off.)

Also using Backup Exec 11d. I have checked and rechecked the Backup Exec setting to verify that I am specifying to use hardware compression. However it spits the tape out at 36GB.

I am also using 2003 SBS.
Dunbar St.Paul

Yeah, HP says it's BackupExec - Backupexec won't talk to you unless you pay for support.
Juan B.S.R.
Trusted Contributor

Hi.
Have you solved this issue?
I am in the same situation and I have test the environment with NTbackup and Data Protector Express.
Dunbar St.Paul

I think this is a problem that won't go away. I'm backing up exchange to the tape and everything else to another drive. Never got it working properly.