1753628 Members
5322 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data Protector Express 3.5 SP1 or 2

Danievz
Occasional Advisor

Data Protector Express 3.5 SP1 or 2

I'm running this on a 64-bit 2003 Server. I can't get the service starting. I keep getting the Code: 112 error. I've re-installed numerous times. I tried SP1 and SP2. I see no real events with information to help me.
Does anyone know how to fix this?
10 REPLIES 10
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Danievz:

Do you have a firewall software package running on your Windows 2003 installation?
Try to disable the firewall.

Is network Port 3817 opened on your machine?
DPX software needs this port opened for communications.

Have you looked into the DPX install directory /log/ to see what dptrace files are saying why DPX services are not starting?

Also, when you are installing DPX software you need to have Administrator user privileges. This allows DPX software to have correct privileges to backup all files on your Windows server.
Danievz
Occasional Advisor

There is no error related information in the log file. I've disabled Anti-Virus software and still not working. There is also no firewall running on the server. I found a Compatibility PDF for DPX. It shows all the relevant operating systems, but nowhere is 32-bit or 64-bit mentioned. Could it be that the software is not designed for 64-bit? It installs to the 64-bit Program Files...
Danievz
Occasional Advisor

I should have mentioned: It's the DPX service that is not starting. When I run HP StorageWorks Library and Tape Tools, it gives this message: Device not accessible - cannot determine class driver, or opened exclusively.
I checked, but there's no other backup software running and the Removable Storage Service is disabled (Which I found was used by NTBackup).
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Danievz:

DPX 3.5 SP1 and SP2 is supported on 64-bit Windows 2003. Try downloading the latest hotfix version of DPX 3.5 SP2 build 37634.

Have you looked into Windows Application and System Event log to see why DPX services is stopping?

Also, you should winzip all the files in the \\log\ and attach to this thread, so that I can better understand what DPX is saying when the services are stopped.

Danievz
Occasional Advisor

Application Logs:
Error: Error 151: No base license has been installed.

Faulting application dpwinsdr.exe, version 3.50.34497.0, faulting module dpwinioc.dll, version 3.50.34497.0, fault address 0x0000000000005b22.

System Logs:
The Data Protector Express service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

I don't see how I can enter a base license if DPX doesn't open. The logs in the DPX dir doesn't say anything at all, but I'm attaching it anyway.
Thanks for the help.
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Danievz:

What version of Data Protector Express are you have installing? When you purchase a HP tape drive or Autoloader, HP provides a free copy of DPX Single Server Edition. This version of DPX allows you to backup all files on the local server machine and do an One Button Disaster Recovery tape cartridge if the tape device support the feature with your server model.

You can purchase the full edition of DPX which allows you to add software options like the online backup of MS SQL and MS Exchange.

To install the DPX license key, open the DPX gui and select on the top toolbar
Help->License, then click on the New hyperlink on left center gui window. Type in the license key in the small window gui. Click Ok.
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Danievz:

I forgot to mention, if you are just trying out the DPX software, the software will work on a trial license for the first 60 days after the installation.

If you are installing the full version of DPX software, you need to install license keys for any DPX option features that you are using e.g. Bare Metal Disaster Recovery, Network Backup Client Agent, D2DtoAny, MS SQL, MS Exchange.

Danievz
Occasional Advisor

I can't get into the GUI as the service is not starting. If there's any other way to get in there without the service running, please let me know. Don't you need the service for backups and everything else you do?
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Danievz:

Have you checked Windows System and Application Event log to see why Data Protector Express services is not starting?

Also, you may need to completely uninstall DPX software and then fresh install DPX. Sometimes that is the only way to fix your problem.