StoreEver Tape Storage
1748171 Members
4273 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data Protector Express 3.5 SP2 - How to stop the job automatically when no tape is available?

R. Steber

Data Protector Express 3.5 SP2 - How to stop the job automatically when no tape is available?

Hello everybody,

I wonder if it's possible or not to make the backup software stop the backup job immediately when no tape is present. Continuing the job after inserting a tape the next morning is not an option in this environment, because this will affect the performance of this single server dramatically. The backups should run only in the nighttime.

Regards
Roland
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Data Protector Express 3.5 SP2 - How to stop the job automatically when no tape is available?

Hi Roland

Try the suggested steps and post me if you stil have issues.

Once you scheduled the job.

- Go to to Home (in the top pane),
- Select the scheduled backup that yet to run by ther night.
- From the Command go to Properties
- Select Execution from the 2 Column
- In the Pre-Execution, Check the Box that reads Stop Job if command fails to execute
- Also check Stop Job if command return error code

Once done, Select and Apply OK. You might receive an Error 1401" Incompatible Media. Select Cancel and it will stop the Job"

Please revert for any clarifications.
R. Steber

I guess Kalidoss missunderstood my problem. I don't have problems with jobs which are configured to execute as a part of backup task (e.g. Batch files...). I want the complete backup task to automatically cancel itself, when no tape is available.
I don't need warning messages and an automatic execution when a tape is inserted later. I just want the task to stop immediatley.

Regards
Roland
Kocourek Ondrej
Advisor

Helo,
I agree with R.Steber. I have exactly the same problem - I want a job to be canceled if there is no the correct tape in drive. I found the only one option - under execution item in job properties, but it does not accomplish my goal.

Thanks for any idea.

O. Kocourek
Czech Rep.
Gary Reinsch

I too have gone through every aspect of this software looking for some way to implement this functionality. I've also spoken to the Data Protector Express support staff (after waiting through various transfers, etc). The end result: this software is not capable of cancelling a scheduled backup automatically if no media or incorrect media is present. This being said, the HP technicians do not foresee this functionality being included in any future updates/releases of the software - though they did indicate that the Data Protector Express Omni software had increased functionality (although they didn't mention this one specifically, either). This being the case, I'd have to say that this software is pretty-much useless as a backup solution for any business larger than home-based. Even then, I probably wouldn't use it for business purposes where media rotation is part of the disaster recovery plans.

Regards,

Gary Reinsch