1752782 Members
5766 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data Protector Express 4.0 SP1 OBDR Restore will not boot

sdrake48
Regular Advisor

Data Protector Express 4.0 SP1 OBDR Restore will not boot

After creating a Backup of an XP system on ML370-G5 (P400 controller to single drive), I perform an OBDR restore of Entire System. The restore seems quite short - it says it's complete in about 2 minutes (system was over 11GB) and then the server reboots - it hangs at "booting from hard disk".
There are no errors, the resulting disk is unusable and cannot be booted. Tape drive is internal SAS DAT160GB attached to HP SC44Ge SAS HBA.
7 REPLIES 7
sdrake48
Regular Advisor

Boot hangs at: "Attempting Boot from Hard Drive (C:)"
sdrake48
Regular Advisor

Boot CD fails the same way. After writing boot info to hard disk, the reboot fails at the same place.
CLin_1
Regular Advisor

I would recommend you to contact the local HP for support.

For U.S. you can call 800-633-3600 option 1 and option 2, keyword "Storage" & "Tape"
sdrake48
Regular Advisor

The User Guide says that if the server won't boot from your DR media, too bad, then you can't use it. If I contact HP support that is what level1 will read to me and I won't get any farther.
CLin_1
Regular Advisor

According to the information you'd provided, server model, HBA model, tape drive and OS are in the compatibility matrix.

You can log a call, if the agent can't help you out with the problem, they can engage to higher level support. By doing this you can also help HP to improve the product.

But I have a question, what OS do you have with ML370 G5? You mentioned XP but I'm wordering if XP is a workstation or the server?
sdrake48
Regular Advisor

I've had bad 2 weeks with HP support - opened 3 cases for the same problem (they closed two of them) that they never fixed. Had to buy my own replacement SAS DAT to prove that the DAT drive is bad. They have stopped communicating with me on the open record - see no reason to be further trouble. I agree, it should work....but know firsthand that if I call I will be told XP Pro is not supported on the 370-G5 and it will die right there. We've been playing this game for 11 years...
sdrake48
Regular Advisor

OBDR with DPE 4.0 SP1 is also supposedly supported on ML370-G6 running SLES10 SP2. An OBDR restore in that environment results in a RED screen at boot with Illegal Opcode. Does anyone test this?