4071 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data Protector Express 4.0-SP1

Chris Breu
Occasional Contributor

Data Protector Express 4.0-SP1

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone has figured out a way to use Data Protector Express as a data archiving tool. By data archiving, I mean to monitor a folder and backup/delete files that have not been modified in x amount of days. If so, could you post a mini how-to?

Thanks!
Chris Breu
6 REPLIES 6
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

dont really understand the question do you want DPE to erase data that has benn already archive ?

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Chris Breu
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reponse. Yes I want DPE to do exactly that. Once I have a copy of the file on tape I would like DPE to delete that file from the drive. I would also would like to know if DPE can be driven by a floating date. That is, only archive things that have not been modified within say 6 months.

Thanks!
Chris Breu
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

DPE will not erase data but you can filter files with modify range.
You could Log everything then check the log and manually erase Data that has been backup take a look at the attact pic

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Chris Breu
Occasional Contributor

From what I can tell you can not have a floating filter. So the filter I create today will only be looking at a specific date range. What I am trying to do is create a filter that only looks at the last 60 days; not a specific date. Is this possible? Also, is Data Protector a more feature rich app than Data Protector Express?

Thanks!
Chris Breu
Chris Breu
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response. I have another question. I am using Data Protector Express to create a Virtual Library for a department here at work. I have then written a script that on successful completion of the backup job and a full verify to delete the contents of the backup folder. In essence I have created a rudimentary hot folder for DPE backups. Now on to my problem..

The virtual library is composed of 4 terabyte external USB hard drives. They are close to being completely filled up. I have purchased a D2D2Any option for Data Protector Express but have been so far unable to copy information from the virtual library to my physical device. I have limited the device to only use a few select barcodes for labels but when the job is run, it loads those selected tapes from barcode, but then proceeds to tell me that no media was found.

Is there a better online resource for configuring a Virtual Device that will periodically empty its contents to a physical device?

TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Chris DPE will do a clone of the cartridge so If you are going to do a copy job then just select the virtual cartridge and use the virtual library as a source, then destination would be the tape drive with a blank media.

if the problem is more complex then please call Tape Storage @ 800 633 3600 opt1 opt2 say the shortcut "LTO TAPE PROLIANT" I'll be here 3h

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles