StoreEver Tape Storage
1752777 Members
5917 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Data Protector Express and 8 Tape Auto Loader - Backup Select Tape / Append to Tape.

Chartwell
Occasional Advisor

Data Protector Express and 8 Tape Auto Loader - Backup Select Tape / Append to Tape.

Hi,

I am using HP Data Protector Express on a Windows 2003 Domain Controller that talks to a HP 1/8 G2 Auto Loader (Tape Drive) via a Linux box.

I can run backups, format media etc etc.

What I wish to achieve is using 7 of the tapes for a nightly backup (Monday - Sunday)
The 8th Tape will be a weekly backup.

So
Tape 1 (Monday) will store all the backups that occur on a Monday
Tape 2 (Tuesday) will store all the backups that occur on a Tuesday
etc...
Tape 8 will store all weekly backups that occur on a set day/time of a week.

Firstly the issue I am having with Data Protector Express is that I cannot select the tape I wish to use for Monday's backup - or at least I cannot find the option to load this tape prior to the backup.

Secondly, can I append to the tapes so that have 3/4 Monday backups on the Monday Tape?
The tape will eventually fill up, so is there a way to keep a retention of 4 backups say on that one tape?

Does this make sense or do I need to take a "Backup 101 for beginners course?"

Please help!

Thanks

Chris Bennett
5 REPLIES 5
John Jimenez
Super Advisor

Re: Data Protector Express and 8 Tape Auto Loader - Backup Select Tape / Append to Tape.

Hi Chris,

Sorry I have never heard of Data Protector Express. I have been running Data Protector 5.0, 5.5, and now 6.0 over the last 4 years, if they are similiar.....On Data Protector Express, can you create pools? You can create 2 pools and make both pools non-appendable. create a daily backup to go Mon-Friday, then create a weekly backup to go to your weekly pool But you might run into a problems if your backup needs more then 1 tape because it will not get through the week without having to change the tapes.

I use tape libraries and have not see a HP 1/8 G2 Auto Loader. I just googled this, is this kind of like an 8 tape library?

Not sure why you need Monday's data and Tuesday data on a seperate tape. If you have free space you might as well use it. You usually do not want to non-append it unless you are vaulting. sending that tape off site for archving or D.R. purposes.

But if Data Protector Express is a lot different the Data Protector.... I kind of wasted both your and my time.

John
Hustle Makes things happen
Chartwell
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Data Protector Express came with the 1/8 Tape Unit â which is a 8 Tape Tray 1 Tape Drive Auto Loader.

Iâ m not sure how to create these â poolsâ . How is it done and I can see if it is possible using Express?

Once the tapes are full they are ejected and placed into an offsite safe for DR reasons and replaced with blank ones â until they are eventually rotated.

A backup will never exceed one tape.

Attached is a screen shot of Data Protector Express.

Thanks for the help and I will try to create a pool with your advice.

Chris
Chartwell
Occasional Advisor

Formatted got messed up!

Hi,

Data Protector Express came with the 1/8 Tape Unit â which is a 8 Tape Tray 1 Tape Drive Auto Loader.

Iâ m not sure how to create these â poolsâ . How is it done and I can see if it is possible using Express?

Once the tapes are full they are ejected and placed into an offsite safe for DR reasons and replaced with blank ones â until they are eventually rotated.

A backup will never exceed one tape.

Thanks for the help and I will try to create a pool with your advice.

Chris
John Jimenez
Super Advisor

Looks kind of different, but still kind of the same. When you click on "jobs & media" are you able to go into media? In regular data protector pools is under "Devices & Media".
John Jimenez
Super Advisor

I hope that you figure out how to set up. But I just read through a manual of Express. It looks like the Express does no let you create pools or backups specifications. It looks like it comes with a few preset backups. It looks like it lets you run a full weekly and monthly and Daily's have to be incrementals. With express you might not be able to make any modifications to these preconfigured backups.