1751968 Members
4668 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Data Protector Express Single Server edition scripting

MarcelR
Occasional Contributor

Data Protector Express Single Server edition scripting

We use a simple script to perform several actions before starting ntbackup.

We want to use OBDR for it with dataprotector, put using the script for backup is a requirement. Is it possible to run a full backup by using commandline with dataprotector?

Furthermore, I tried to restore a full backup on a fully new server, but after booting from tape, it keeps asking for a CD/DVD, and won't start restoring from tape. On the server where the backup was made, obdr restore works normally. As far as I know, the servers are identical.
3 REPLIES 3
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Re: Data Protector Express Single Server edition scripting

The best way to do pre/post backup scripting is to move the scripting into the Data Protector Express job.

Create two scripts, one for the commands to be run BEFORE the backup and one for the commands to be run AFTER the backup. Then add the commands th the Data PRotector Express job. There is a section in the job properties called "Execution" that allows you to execute scripts before and after the backup job.

Onthe OBDR question, it appears that while the machines are physically identical they might not be configured the same since the 2nd machine is not seeing the tape drive to boot from.

If you are using a USB attached tape drive, make sure the BIOS is configured to allow boot from USB devices.

Also, as a backup, you can create a bootable CD or DVD from within Data Protector Express. Even though I have OBDR capability I generally create a bootable CD every time I make a hardware change or OS update. That way, if the boot from tape doesn't work I can use the CD to boot from and then run the rest of the recovery from tape.

DL
MarcelR
Occasional Contributor

Running a script from inside Dataprotector is not possible. The process must be as simple as possible, so only way to do this is providing a shortcut on the desktop to initiate all actions needed. In that way I don't have to describe a complete manual. All other solutions won't be accepted, because ntbackup does everything we need, but only not OBDR. I saw some scripting utility, in the program files folder, but this is not documented.

About the not-recognized tape: I actually booted the server with the OBDR enabled tapedrive. After it is booted again in disaster recovery mode, it won't restore from tape, and keeps looking to the cd/dvd drive. Even when I boot with a cd, it won't start recovering from tape, it won't even start looking if there's a correct tape at all. After booting the original server from tape, it starts restoring correctly. At this point I'm very disappointed about dataprotector, because I have to buy hardware for replacement after a disaster, and disaster recovery has to be working for sure, even if the server hardware is a newer type of server.
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

No application supporting ODBR will support a recovery to a different hardware set than the backup was created from. For more information on ODBR and the uses, issues, etc, go to:

http://hp.com/go/OBDR

DL