StoreEver Tape Storage
1753802 Members
8075 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Data Protector Express SSE Backup job never stops

Stig E

Data Protector Express SSE Backup job never stops

Using DPX SSE version 3.50 on SuSE Linux ES10.

I have set up to execute a script when a backup fails. Then I test to run a backup to a write-protected tape, and expect my script to be executed.

That does not happen. The backup job keeps running forever, or at least until i manually start the GUI and look at the Alert Logs. After doing that, the job terminates and the script gets executed.

Is this the way it has to be? I do not want the operators on the server to manually run the DPX GUI to check the backup status. I want the script to do this, and to alert the operators in different ways in case of a backup failure.
5 REPLIES 5
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Re: Data Protector Express SSE Backup job never stops

The only option you have is to set up email to send an email message when the app encnounters an error. Then the operator would have to open the GUI and clear the error.

DL
Stig E

Thanks Dave, even though this is not good news. So DPX SSE is not intended to be used for unattended backups then? Would it be the same problem if we upgrade to standard DPX?
Stig E

I made a test with email to get a message from DPX, but no email was sent. It is exactly the same issue. The mail is not sent before i manually open the GUI and look at the Alert Logs.
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

It sounds like the Data Protector Express Process is not running.

With the GUI not running, look for the process dplinsdr. grep either ps or pstree.

Then do it again with the GUI running.

Let me know what you find.

DL
Stig E

After some digging in the mail system, i found some mails from DPX...

The original question still remains though. The backup keeps on running until someone opens the GUI and clears the error.

Mail is not a good solution. Operators on this system does not have access to email. We want the system to handle all errors. I guess the way for us is to create a special mail account that DPX can mail to, and install some type of mail handler that can parse the mail content and perform some intelligent action.

Is there any way to terminate the running job except from the GUI? We will have to do that from our mail handler.