StoreEver Tape Storage
1748182 Members
3488 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data protector express SSE hangs after 105Gb

Paul Drage

Data protector express SSE hangs after 105Gb

After working OK for months, Data Protector Express SSE, on an Ultrium 448 SAS drive with LTO-2 tapes, running on debian linux has started to hang after writing approx 105Gb. Shorter backups are OK. It starts off OK, then the transfer rate gets slower and slower, until it grinds to a halt. There are no obvious error messages.

Any ideas what I should look at to find out whats going on?
3 REPLIES 3
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Data Protector Express is not supported with Debian Linux. I believe it was a problem with large numbers of files running out of system resources. You might also look at make sure the volume where Data Protector Express is installed is not runing out of space. It needs at lease 2GB free.

It might be necessary to break your backup into smaller jobs and schedule them consecutively. The easiest way to do that is with a Job Group. You can set this up as follows:

1. Create the smaller jobs but when it comes time to schedule them, set them as "Not Scheduled".

2. Create a Job Group
- Click on the "Home" button in the top bar
- Right-click anywhere in the right window and select "new" and then select "Job Group" from the drop-down list.

3. Follow the wizard to select which jobs are in the group and set the schedule for the group to run. Make sure the jobs run consecutively and I'd also recommend setting the switch to allow a failed job to continued to the next job rathen than cancel the entire group.

DL
Paul Drage

Dave,
Thanks for your suggestions.

It does look as if I'm running out of system resources. The task is taking 80% of available memory, and not letting go.

However, I can't find Job Groups on my version of the software (v3.5 sp2) does that appear in version 4 (and can you tell me if there is an alternative in v3.5?)
Thanks again.
Paul.
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Hi Paul,

It's in the same place in Ver 3.5 SP2. I have attached a screenshot to help you locate it.

Dave