4883 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data Protector Signle Svr Edt - Exchange question

sam lynch
Occasional Contributor

Data Protector Signle Svr Edt - Exchange question

Hello,
recently puchased a HP LTO4 tape drive and received the Data Proctector Express Single Svr Edt (v4) "as a gift".
Interested in using the app to backup our Exchange 2003 server.
Can this app be used to backup mailboxes & public folders or merely just the Exchange stores?
2 REPLIES 2
Andr├й Noordermeer
Frequent Advisor

Hi Sam, the free DPX-SSE will only do regular backups on one server. For proper backup of Exchange Server you'll need to upgrade and purchase an agent.
Without all that you can backup only what's properly being handled by "Shadowing".
sam lynch
Occasional Contributor

Cheers Andre,

I've had a look into Data Protector Express with the Online Application Agent but dont think it will perform what I need.

In the Q&A section of website link below it reads - "Granular selection of individual storage groups is possible BUT the Data Protector Express Exchange Agent backs up the Storage Group as a whole and when restoring, must restore the Storage Group as a whole. "

Now I want to be able to restore individual mailboxes and possibly even specific emails, not just a whole storage group. With the upgrade to Express from Single Svr Edt it doesnt appear this function is possible.

At present the Exchange svr is running Backup Exec v9.1 (old as the hills I know).

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storage/software/datapexp/index.html

May just need to upgrade the Backup Exec version but really did like the speed of Data Protector.