Did you mean: 

Data Protector Software

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Data Protector Software

Hi All,

Having a terrible time trying to figure out the licensing requirements for my HP backup solution, my HP reseller doesnt understand the licensing and I have had numerous calls with HP which only add to the confusion as no-one seems to know.... I'm hoping some kind and knowledgeable person here can finally set me straight on this :)

I have purchased the HP D2D130 which comes with HP data protector express Single Server edition.

I have two servers which I need backed up to this machine, both need to be backed up completely. One has MS Exchange and I want exchange to be online while the backup runs. The other has MS SQL which I also need to stay online while the backup runs.

I also have a windows XP workstation which needs to be backed up.

The backups will be archived to the internal Ultrium 920, I also need the option to restore directly from tape if needed.

Other linux machines will be added in future.

(I beleive the Data protector software can create a bootable recovery CD for each server should disaster strike?)

Can someone please tell me which licenses I need to purchase in order to get the initial backup solution running (see pic) and which future licenses I may need?

Many thanks to anyone who can help

Cheers
Eoin
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Data Protector Software

Hi I'll tell you for version 3.5spx

BB117ET HP Data Protector Express Backup Server upgrade from Data Protector Express Single
Server Edition software media and LTU
Used to upgrade from Data Protector Express Single Server Edition to Data Protector
Express. This is a pre-discounted SKU that delivers the same product as BB117EA.

BB123AA HP Data Protector Express Agent for Microsoft Exchange Software LTU
Online protection for a Microsoft Exchange Server.

BB124AA HP Data Protector Express Agent for Microsoft SQL Server Software LTU
Online protection for Microsoft SQL Server.

BB120AA HP Data Protector Express Media Server (3 pack) Software LTU
or
2x BB121AA HP Data Protector Express Network Server Backup Agent Software LTU
Protect networked servers.

You have to upgrade to base License so you can add as many work stations (running XP) and as many Licenses you want.

I post you both network licenses 3 pack or 1 pack.

The internal tape drive will not be detected by dpe only by D2D manager so you will need to copy the media on the d2d then restore.

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for clearing that up Pablo, much appreciated. Quite expensive these licenses. If I install the data protector express software on one of the servers is this covered without an agent as its the "localhost"?

Probably not best practice but still nice to know.

Cheers
Eoin
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

you can install the base License and SSE on as many servers you want but they wont be able to see each other because all of them will be in their own domain.

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles