108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Data ProtectorExpress SSE lockups

David Nemec
Occasional Advisor

Data ProtectorExpress SSE lockups

hi,
i have a problem with a backup.
i have a proliant ml330 with win2003 server and HP storageworks DAT40i USB ext drive.

now ..the problem is that the service "data protect storage" freezes from time to time(every two-three days ..randomly), and then the "automatic" backup is no more automatic, coz i have to stop the process ..and restart it.

so i would like to know possible solutions ..or at least what coud be the problem.

thnx
david
8 REPLIES 8
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Hi David,

We have ocaisionally seen this on some hardware with earlier versions of Data Protector Express. If you aren't running Sevice Pack 4 (SP4) I recommend downloading a copy and upgrading. You can find a link to the software update at http://hp.com/go/dataprotectorexpress/sse

Dave L
David Nemec
Occasional Advisor

SP4? i have a windows server 2003 for Small business server.

anyway ..the software for the backup is DATA PROTECTOR EXPRESS v3.10-sp2 ..is there an upgrade to this? and this month didnt work at all ...the dat casette won't come out (normaly when the backup job finishes..the dat pops out)

help?

thnx
David
David Nemec
Occasional Advisor

ok...nevermind the SP4 thing ;-)

so should i install the sp3->sp4->patch over my 3.10-sp2? or can i directly instal sp4+patch?

thnx
david
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Just go ahead and upgrade directly from DP Express SP2 to SP4. When you start the setup utility make sure to chose the "Upgrade" option and all of your existing information, jobs, catalog, etc., will stay intact.

Dave L
David Nemec
Occasional Advisor

well...it did work for a few months :-)

btw , i was wondering if the v3.5sp1 works with the same license i already have for 3.1sp4
coz i will upgrade the server to a ml350g5 and it would be nice to be able to use that license on a fresh v3.5sp1 install.

thnx
David
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Yes. The 3.1 SP4 key will work with an upgrade to 3.5 SP1 but may not work with a direct install to 3.5. I've never tried it.

You can always try the install and if id doesn't work you could start over with 3.1 and then do the upgrade since the key input is early in the installation script.

DL
David Nemec
Occasional Advisor

hello again,

we finaly migrated to the new serverbut now
i have a little problem with the dat tapes.

i also updated the software to 3.5 sp2 and created a simple backup job just for test
and also formatted all the dat tapes

but whenever the backup starts i get an error 1401: Alert - Please insert compatible media.

i also checked the auto format option, before the job starts ...but nothing seems to work. the tape drive just ejects the media and gives the error 1401.

is there something i can do?

thanks
David
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Try this with one tape.

Instead of formatting the tape, create a job to erase it. To create the job put the tape into the DAT drive and then right-click on the drive in the devices list. There should be an erase option there.

After you have erased the tape, try your backup again. The job should automatically format the tape and then use it to backup without the 1401 error.

Here is what is happening. Formatting the tape puts a header on the tape and adds it to the catalog. Data Protector Express then thinks the tape needs to be protected and will not allow it to be over-written, even with autoformat on. Erasing the tape removes the header so now it is a blank, unused tape.

Another option is to delete the tapes you formatted but haven't used yet from the catalog. Then Data Protector Express no longer knows about them and will not try to protect them. Autoformat will work correctly.

DL