StoreEver Tape Storage
1747988 Members
4956 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DataProtector Express on VMWare ESX?

perrierp
Occasional Contributor

DataProtector Express on VMWare ESX?

We plan to install DataProtector Express on the VMWare ESX service console. Is this possible or is it supported by VMWare?

Thanks a lot
5 REPLIES 5
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Data Protector Express is not VMWare ESX aware. If you install it on the VMWare console you can only backup at the console level. Each of the virtual machines will be backed up as a single file. Recovery would then be only available by recovering the entire virtual machine to a specific point in time.

You can install it on independently on each the virtual machines which would allow file level recovery. However, this requires a license for each virtual machine.

We usually recommend our enterprise product, Data Protector 6.0, which will work with VMWare ESX at both the console and virtual machine level, integrating with VMWare's backup and recovery utilities.

DL

Ben Tullis
Occasional Contributor

Hello.
We are also investigating this scenario at the moment, for a particular requirement.

At the moment I've got Data Protector Express installed and running on the ESX server console.

There is an HP Ultrium 460 LTO2 tape drive directly connected via an Adaptec U320 HBA.

The ESX console can see the tape drive and we can write to the tape with tar.

==== The Problem Is ====
When I'm in dpadmin, I can see the tape device under the network/host/Devices section (upper-screenshot)

When I'm configuring a backup job, I am unable to see this device as available for selection (lower-screenshot)

Any help would be appreciated.
Is it something that we must add to the dpdevice.ini file, for example?

The ESX server is at version 3.5, with a 32 bit 2.4.21 kernel. We cannot install Data Protector to the console, because I don't believe there's a 32 bit Linux version of it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Many thanks.
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Let me address the two qwestions separately.

First, in your 2nd screenshot, enable tape devices and then the LTO drive should show in the list on the left and you can select it there.

Second, yes, there is both a 32bit and 64bit versions for Linux on the install CD. It should be installable on the console and in GUI mode if the console is running X. If you downloaded an evaluation version, go back to http:/hp/com/go/dataprotectorexpress and download the full .iso file for all versions, all languages.

DL
Ben Tullis
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dave.

Thanks for your response.

I shall clarify things a little, if I may.

When I am in the "Device/Media Selection" screen of a backup job, it is impossible to "enable tape drives"

The setting merely reverts to "No" as soon as you leave the page. The device never shows up in the left-hand box.

===

My other question was whether there is a 32-bit Linux version of "Data Protector" (not express)

Many thanks,
Ben
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the clarifications.

Dealing with the 2nd question first, no, Data Protector Cell mananger is not avaiable for 32-bit Linux. You can have 32-bit Linux clients but the Cell Manager is only available for 64-bit Linux. It was a port of the HP-UX version which is a 64-bit OS.

The first question about the device disappearing is more dificult. Do you run any type of graphical interface on your Linux system? If so, try the GUI version of the administration program and see if setting up the job there works correctly. If not, contact HP support for furhter help.

DL