StoreEver Tape Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDS 4 - "there is no free media available" i cannot reuse old tapes?

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

DDS 4 - "there is no free media available" i cannot reuse old tapes?

Hello All

I have made a backup from my HDD to the 6 DDS tape drives about 8 months ago. Now i want to make another backup but to use the same 6 tapes +the new ones that will come since the data is bigger.

I cannot start the backup cause of the messege:

"There is no free media available with the selected type, add unused media or click cancel to end the operation"

i am using Windows Server 2003 std and the windows standard backup program.

Sincerely

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: DDS 4 - "there is no free media available" i cannot reuse old tapes?

I don't know what backup application you're using -- but it sounds like you made your original backup with the tapes set to a long-time or permanent protection.   When you create a backup job, you can tell the backup application how long to keep the tapes before allowing them to be re-used.

If this is the case, you will want to either 'erase' or 'format' the media (depending on which application you're using)... that should allow them to be used again.

Check the settings on the backup job and see if protection is set to "permanent" or something like that, and change it if appropriate so you don't run in to this again.

--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: DDS 4 - "there is no free media available" i cannot reuse old tapes?

Hello

My server is Windows 2003 std and i am using the standard Windows application (see file attached).

How can i format or erase those tapes with this application?

thx in advance