Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380G5 8TB Storage server issue

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

DL380G5 8TB Storage server issue

Hi
I have DL380G5 8TB storage server. This has SC11Xe HBA fitted to which is connected a MSL2024 LTO-4 Ultrium 1840 SCSI Drive Library. All firmware and drivers are latest versions.
Backup software is CA BrightStor 11.5 SP3 When running a backup it fails with the CA software reporting unknown hardware SCSI error, but the Server and Tape library show no hardware errors.
Rebuilt system with recovery DVD and installed CA BrightStor 12 and got same error.
Replaced server and library hardware completely with new and got same error with CA 11.5 and 12.
Rebuilt with DVD and installed Backup Exec v 12 and got same error!!! However, Backup exec forum said thet the HP Management Agents were know to cause this problem. Rebuilt original hardware, disabled HP Agents and installed CA 11.5 SP3 and backups now run fine. 1.2TB in 4.5 hours.
So, how do I get round this as I want to remote monitor server with Agents.
Anyone seen this before?
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380G5 8TB Storage server issue

not seen before but you can selectively remove some sub-agents (i.e. SCSI information) and don't have to remove all of them. This can be done via control panel, HP managemnt agents maybe worth a try.

This way, if it helps, you can keep the rest of the server monitored except for the particular agent(s) you needed to remove till you have a fix.

just an idea, besides checking for later agent versions that are supported on your server and OS type.

Kris
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Re: DL380G5 8TB Storage server issue

We have set a pre backup script to disable the agents before the backup runs. This works and we are getting a full 1.3TB backup each night. There is a post script to re-start the management agents.
We do not have the time to research the issue as the system HAS to be live NOW.
Still very dissapointing that we have to do this though. We are raising with our local HP supplier here in Saudi Arabia, but history shows that we will be ignored!!