StoreEver Tape Storage
1748169 Members
4061 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Do I need a second 5183-2675 cable when installing a second Ultrium 460

James Brownridge

Do I need a second 5183-2675 cable when installing a second Ultrium 460

I have just installed a second Ultrium 460 tape drive into a rack mounted storageworks kit.
Simple enough installing it as all the cabling and power units are ready waiting but I'm having trouble getting it to be seen by my sysmantec backup software.
At the moment I have only the one Hewlett Packard (5183-2675), 2.5m SCSI Cable going from the Storageworks kit to my server running the backup software. My question is, do I need to buy a second (5183-2675) for the new tape drive to work (there are spare sockets). Seems a silly question and I have a feeling a few people will be say 'doh yes!' but before buying it I spoke to a nice guy at HP and he didn't think so.
Many thanks to anyone who can help,
James UK
2 REPLIES 2
thomasr
Respected Contributor

Re: Do I need a second 5183-2675 cable when installing a second Ultrium 460

If that's the 3U rackmount enclosure, then you should be able to run with a single SCSI cable connecting the server to the rackmount enclosure.

Check cabling and SCSI IDs inside the enclosure, though. Your tape drives must be at different SCSI IDs (configured by jumpers on the back of the drive); if one is 3, set the other to 4).

Then, you'll have a cable going from the back of the enclosure to the first drive, continuing to the second drive, and then there should be a terminator at the far end of the drive.

The 3U RM Enclosure can also support two incoming connnections -- could be from one server or two... but it sounds like you want both drives attached to the server; as long as the SCSI HBA in the server is fast enough, you should be fine.
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
James Brownridge

Re: Do I need a second 5183-2675 cable when installing a second Ultrium 460

Thanks for the reply.
Yes it is the 3U rack and good point about the jumpers being set. When I opened it up to do this I also realised that I'd pugged the second drive into the second internal SCSI that didn't actually link to any cable leading from the back of the case to the server (how stupid of me was that!) So as you explained I went to plug the second drive into the same SCSI cable used by the first drive (just like you would a save hard rive) but sadly the connectors are far too close for this to work.
Looks like I'll just have to connect the second drive to the second internal SCSI cable and then buy a second cable and card for the server.
Still many thanks for the reply Thomas as it's help move things along for me!

James