4716 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DP Express 5.2 - formatting problem

Alexander Lex
Occasional Contributor

DP Express 5.2 - formatting problem

Hi,

I want to use some tapes I previously used with DP, in a new, not-related rotation. Now, when I try to auto-format the media before using them I get an error: The media encountered is not correct.

When I format the media with HP Storage Works it works fine.

Do I have to somehow remove the old contents from the cataloge, or is there something else? Should I shedule and Erase job right before the backup job (which wouldn't be nice if someone forgot to swap the tapes).

Thx,

Alex
2 REPLIES 2
Alexander Lex
Occasional Contributor

Of course I meant DP Express 3.5 SP2.
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Data Protector Express recognizes that the tapes are not blank and have been used with another application (different block size) and so by default will not overwrite them.

You have two choices. The first is to erase each of the tapes using Data Protector Express. If you have a few tapes this isn't too bad but if you have several you probably want to look at option two.

The second option is to tell Data Protector Express to reformat the tapes before using them. This is set on the "Device Options" screen of job properties (see attached screenshot). If this doesn't work in your specific then unfortunately you are stuck with option one.

DL