Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DP Express not selecting 'everything'

Highlighted
Frequent Advisor

DP Express not selecting 'everything'

Hi,

I am running Data Protector Express Single Server Edition as supplied with my DAT72 USB drive.
Server is ML350 G5 running WS2008.

DP basically runs without any problems, I have 2 questions I cannot figure out using the website (maybe looking in the wrong place?)

a. When I select the Advanced option for DR, the writing of a boot image on the tape always fails. Is this an option to be purchased seperately? If yes where can I order and what's the price?

b. When I select 'all' data on the C: drive for inclusion into the backup set, the Windows folder is not shown, so cannot be selected and actually never gets onto the tape.
How can I accomplish a true 'full' bcakup of the C-drive?

Thanks very much for your support.

Cheers,
André
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: DP Express not selecting 'everything'

Hi Andre,

a. At this time, DR is not supported on WIN2008 (Longhorn) nor on Vista.

b. To do a true full backup, select the server name at the top level. Certain elements of the OS are only backed up if you select the System State.

DL
Highlighted
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Dave,

I tried Symantec BackupExec (a version from about a year ago I had lying around) and ran into same.
I now use WS2008 own backup to save system state and Windows folder to disk. Then let DR take it all to tape.
It's a little bit more work when a full system restore is needed, but ok for restoring single files.
-A
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Sounds like an acceptable compromise until W2008 Dr support is available.