1753797 Members
7184 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DPExpress SSE - Error 1040 and 4030 on Linux/USB

Andreas Oeri

DPExpress SSE - Error 1040 and 4030 on Linux/USB

Hello,

I used Data Protector Express SSE for a while on a Suse 10.1. Now I wanted to set up a replacement server using Suse Linux 10.3. After installing DPE SSE I got the following problems:

- I can't run any jobs. They don't start at all. I always get immediately an Error 1040 in the protocol. The diagnostic function of the device shows an Error 4030.

-I can't connect to DPE SSE using the administration panel from another WinXP PC. dplinsvc -q says the service is running. I am also able to connect with the dpadmin from the Linux console. But the service seems not to listen on the external IP address.
My WinXP GUI is only able to connect if I am connected using the Linux console dpadmin at the same time, or after restarting the service using dplinsvc -t.

My system is a Linux Suse 10.3 with a HP DAT160 USB and a DPE SSE 3.5 SP2.

Thank a lot.
Regards,

Andreas
3 REPLIES 3
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Re: DPExpress SSE - Error 1040 and 4030 on Linux/USB

Hi Andreas:

The latest tested version of SUSE Linux is 10 update 2. I can't say that HP has tested SUSE 10 update 3, yet.

DPX error 1040 and 4030 usually indicate that the tape device is offline or not communicating correctly with the server. Is your tape drive in an error state? Does your Linux server see and communicate with the tape drive? If you are using DPX SSE, the software is intended for use on only one server machine at a time.

Dave W.
Andreas Oeri

Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I could fix the problem but actually I don't know exactly how I did it. I reinstalled the DPE SSE as user defined installation instead of standard installation. I disabled one or two things I don't need and now it works fine.

Regards,

Andreas
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Andreas:

Yeah, reinstalling the DPX SSE software can fix a lot of things.

When I mentioned stopping and then restarting DPX services, you triggering DPX to recheck the attached hardware again.

In general:

1. check if the tape drive hardware is in an error state. If so, power cycle to clear the error condition.

2. stop and then start DPX services.

> cd /usr/local/hp/dpx/
> dplinsvc -x ; this stops DPX services
> dplinsvc -s ; this starts DPX services

3. if the above does not work, then try rebooting you server.

Dave W.