StoreEver Tape Storage
1752778 Members
5774 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DPX 4.0 SSE - Can not get a full backup.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrew Wade

DPX 4.0 SSE - Can not get a full backup.

I have DPX SSE 4.00 sp-1 (build 43064) backing up to a MSL 2048 LTO-4 (1840). The server that i'm directly attached to and trying to backup is an HP Proliant DL320s 3TB Storage Server... it runs Windows Storage Server R2 x32.

First, I have entered my barcode range for the barcode labels that I have, and also check the box that allows the backup to use media which have no detectable barcodes. When my backup job starts it gives an error:

Error 4167 - TapeAlert - Information - Unreadable Bar Code Lables

The odd thing is that it actually puts the bar code that is on the tape cartridge on the media lable. For example, it appends the media lable with "LTO-4 - 000101L4".

Now, I can click past the Alert, and the job will continue to run. It will backup all of my data files that I have selected. Once it has finished backing up the data, the job hangs on the AutoVerify. It will complete 0% of the AutoVerify and will do nothing until I cancel the job. The job does tell me one thing here under Errors and Warnings:

Error 51: Socket Failure.

Now, even though I have not gotten a good backup, I try and restore from this tape. First I get Error 4167 telling me its an unreadable barcode... I click continue and then it hangs. Checking the job log shows Error 51.

I have tried a backup with no bar code and get the same results.

Please Help!!!
6 REPLIES 6
D Wong
Regular Advisor
Solution

Hi Andrew:

Just wondering if you have HP branded or other commercially manufactured barcode labels? HP tape libraries require a commercially printed barcode label.

The HP Utrium-4 barcode labels are P/N Q2009A.

Also, make sure your backup job properties correctly specify to select your specific tape cartridge. As a test try to run your backup job with a blank or a newly erased tape cartridge. Let DPX automatically format your tape cartridge to start. It is easy to confuse the location of the tape cartridge for DPX software.

Regards,
Dave W.
Andrew Wade

Dave,

Thank you for the reply... I'm currently getting some HP labels to see if this the issue. The labels I am using are NOT HP branded lables... so we will correct that and see what happens.

Also, do you think that it will matter that the LTO-4 data cartridges are not HP either?

Thanks again... i'll post my results as soon as I get my labels.

-andrew
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Andrew:

I think as long as you get tape cartridges that have the Ultrium-4 logo on the cartridge then they should be okay.

HP Ultrium tape cartridges supposed to be more throughly tested in production compared to some other suppliers. If you have the Ultrium-4 logo on your cartridges then they should be okay.

Strange that your backup job is failing the verify operation. What operating system are you backing up? What types of files is your verify job failing?

Error 51 indicates "Socket failure. A network error has occurred while transferring data".

Do you have your TCP/IP network setup correctly? Are you using a valid IP Address, Submask, and Gateway? Are you using multiple NIC cards on your server?

Regards,
Dave W.

Andrew Wade

Dave,

The LTO-4 tapes do have the LTO Ultrium 4 logo... so I guess i'm good there.

The OS is Windows Storage Server R2 x32... i'm using DPX SSE 4.0 and its scsi attached. The network settings are correct for communications across my network, but DPX should not be trying to go across the network since the MSL 2048 is directly attached.

As far as what files i'm backing up, this box is our main file server and has all kinds of file types. I am NOT attemping to back up a SQL database, Exchange server, or anything of that nature... mostly office documents, autocad drawings, ascii files, and some image files.

But yes, the server does utilize two Nics that are teamed together on one IP address.

Ideas?

-andrew

p.s. I'm still waiting for my HP barcode labels... i'll keep you posted on that.

D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Andrew:

Since you have multiple NIC cards in your DPX backup server you may need to bind one of the NIC cards for the DPX software communications. To do this you use the DPX bindTo statement in your dpconfig.ini file.

On Windows OS dpconfig.ini is located on C:/Program Files/HP/Data Protector Express/config/

You can use a text editor e.g. notepad to modify dpconfig.ini file. You should modify dpconfig.ini as below.

skipCUIDeprecatedMsg=No
lastUser=admin
nodeGuid={00001001-4675F335-001D88F9-004BA6BB}
nodeName=DPXTest
databaseServerAddress=localhost
isDatabaseServer=Yes
databaseServerName=Data Protector Express Storage Domain
disableNetwork=No
remoteAdmin=No
bindTo=10.10.10.5 ;(IP address of NIC for DPX)

You will need to stop and then restart DPX services for you new dpconfig.ini file to take effect.

e.g.
> cd C:\Program Files\HP\Data Protector Express\
> dpwinsvc -x ; to stop DPX services
> dpwinsvc -s ; to start DPX services

Dave W.
Andrew Wade

Dave,

I changed the driver on my SCSI card to one that was on HP's web-site and now my Error 51 is gone. I was slow ordering my HP labels, but expect them any day now. I still get an error about not being able to read the bar code, but then it reads the bar code anyway. It seems that my backup job will ignore the error on the first tape, but it waits for me to tell it to continue when it gets the bar code error for the 2nd tape... I'm really hoping that the HP branded bar codes fix this.

With the new SCSI driver (it is actually an older driver) I no longer get the Error 51 and my test jobs have completed successfully... full verify and all. I'll keep the binding of the NIC in mind, because at some point I plan on buying the Network option so I may backup a different server as well.

Thank you for all of your help, and I'll post again when I finally get my new bar codes.

Thanks for all your help,

-andrew