7517 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: e1200-160 Bangin my head: missing Add/Remove Target ID Option

Erwan LE BIHAN
Occasional Contributor

e1200-160 Bangin my head: missing Add/Remove Target ID Option

Hi.

I'm trying to connect a client part (Neo 2000 aka MSL 6000), with an embedded HP LTO3 FC and a e1200-160 NSR to one new supplied server.

The bad news is that the FC fabric is full. So there's no way to connect 'logically' both the FC LTO3 drive, the NSR and the host to the FC switch.

As the Neo2000 is not shared at all, I'm trying to connect it as a Direct Attach SCSI Device.

My goal is:

AHA29160 on the server --SCSI--> Library controler --SCSI->NSR e1200-160 --FC>>LTO3 Drive.

When I look at the discovered devices, everything is fine: the Fc drive is discovered, the Neo tapechanger also.

And now, i need to bound a SCSI target ID for the LTO3 Drive...

As per page 60 of the manual

( http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg29075/lpg29075.pdf ), I should add a target ID to map a FC device to the SCSI bus.

But there's no such option on the page.

FW for e1200-160 is 5.9.63 (latest I think)

In case it matters : FW for Neo2000 (aka MSL 6000) is 6.04, and FW for HP LTO3 FC drive is M21Z/ 009.608.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

I doubd it will work in that way

the scsi ports are host that allow the tape to be connected to, not a target for your HBA in the host.

Same for the FC port, it is build in order to connect to  HBA or FC port, not sure if it can handle a tape on that host port.

Probably this is the reason why you cannot create a map with those discovered elements on the wrong port.

Erwan LE BIHAN
Occasional Contributor

According to the manual :

Note:

Do not enable Target IDs unless there is a SCSI initiator on the bus that wants to use Fibre Channel devices. This type of configuration is known as a Target Mode configuration.

And later in the manual (p72), all is explained how to do that BUT:

Where can I Enable a targetID for that FC drive in order to map as shown on figure 25, page 72 !

If this is not supported, why it is there ?

I pretty understand how it should work: create a target Id on the scsi bus, then map any FC drive (up to 32) on that targetID so the attached host is going to see both the TapeChanger and the FC Drive(s).

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The E1200 is part of a product family. There are standalone boxes from the OEM which do provide this feature, but as far as I can tell, it has never been supported by Compaq/HP.

Why it is in the documentation? Maybe someone forgot to remove it.