1753731 Members
4914 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error 1040: No devices specified or all devices are now offline

Daniel J

Error 1040: No devices specified or all devices are now offline

Hi all,

I'm using a DAT160 internal USB drive, and DPE 3.50. The backup's been running just fine every night for the last 6 months until last friday. It failed with this error message, but there's no ellaboration, nothing specific to go on.

No updates have been applied, no changes in the environment, nothing obvious like that anyway.

Yesterday I applied the hotfix (build 37634) available for download, to try and solve this issue, but the backup failed twice after that. I tried just to backup the files on one of the harddrives, rather than trying to backup system state and everything else... that didn't work either. The backup ranges from 3 - 12% completed before it fails, so it doesn't seem to be at the same place it fails.

I've checked the harddive for errors but there are none that checkdisk can detect, it was a long shot but I thought I might as well check.

Event viewer / directory service gives me an error (event ID 215) as follows:
"NTDS (472) NTDSA: The backup has been stopped because it was halted by the client or the connection with the client failed."

It seems as though the DAT drive goes offline for some reason in the middle of the backup job, but how and why..?

I'm rather clueless... anyone got any ideas?
3 REPLIES 3
CLin_1
Regular Advisor

Hi Daniel,

Can you try backing up only user's files? avoiding Windows files.

If that fails, I would recommend you to run the test for the tape drive using Library & Tape Tools; www.hp.com/go/support/tapetools, then click on "link to free download".

Stop Data Protector Express service before you launch the utility.
Try to run a read/write test.

Basically this error may occur when time out; could be hardware or some files that is corrupted.

Regards,

Chun.
Olibe Babaco
Frequent Advisor

Hi Daniel,

its a way of known issue. Check this out, please:

Error 1040 - No Devices Specified or All Devices Are Now Offline

Related Operating Systems: Windows, Linux, NetWare

Related Products: Data Protector Express 3.1 ? 3.5

Issue Type: Configuration General

This can occur for several reasons: job settings, tape devices attached to RAID controllers, or incorrectly configured devices.

The easiest way to confirm that it is not being caused by job settings is to specify the device being used in the properties of the backup job, following the instructions in How to Specify a Device for Use in Data Protector Express?.

If this is being caused by a tape device being attached to a RAID controller, please see Why Backup Devices Attached To RAID Controllers Are Not Supported By Data Protector Express?.

This can also be caused by selecting a target device that is not enabled in Data Protector Express (device types must be enabled in each backup job). For information on enabling a device type in Data Protector Express, see How to Enable Backup to Available Device Types in Data Protector Express?.

If you are using USB drives it could also be that the software does not work properly with the drive because all the USB drives need to have the latest HP drivers. Download these from L&TT (Library and Tape Tools). If you do not already have L&TT click here to download the free HP diagnostic software

Hope this helps you further

Regards
Andr├й Noordermeer
Frequent Advisor

Daniel, I have this same issue intermittendly.
Backup runs fine for many weeks/months, then suddenly the tape device goes offline.

My tape is DAT70 via internal USB.
Only way te reactivate (so far as to what I tried) was by physically disconnecting the USB plug and reconnecting.
Or much easier since I usually am not on site, just reboot the server.
Both are a drag, but I reboot normally late at night from home, then manually kick the backup to make sure it's ok again.

Cheers
Andr├Г┬й