3496 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Error 1040: No devices specified or all devices are now offline

Caster Troy
Regular Advisor

Error 1040: No devices specified or all devices are now offline

Dear All,
Due to a UPS maintenance issue, I had to shutdown my Server DL580 G3 (Linux Enterprise 4.0) and MSL 4048 (2 tapes) library and MSA 500 G2 (2 logical drives)
The library was taking a backup and I paused the job and shutdown the server and powered off the tape library. When I powered up the server and the tape library the backup is unable to resume and fails, giving following error in the Data Protector Express Log
"Error 1040: No devices specified or all devices are now offline"

Any help is highly appreciated

Also view attached images

Thanks a lot folks
Evil Has Its Winning Ways
5 REPLIES 5
DJokinen
Occasional Advisor

Re: Error 1040: No devices specified or all devices are now offline

I'm getting the exact same error message. It came out of the blue one day, for no apparent reason. No updates have been applied, no changes in the environment, nothing obvious like that anyway.

The backup fails after a few percent completed, and all it says is this. No specification, no ellaboration, nothing to go on. Yesterday I applied the hotfix (build 37634) available for download, to try and solve this issue, but the backup failed twice after that. I tried just to backup the files on one of the drives, rather than trying to backup system state and everything else. That didn't work either.

I'm clueless here... like said, any help appreciated!
Caster Troy
Regular Advisor

DJokinen,

Make sure your MSL is powered on and ready before you power up your server. This is one major cause of this. This is what i have found out, until no further suggestion this is the only solution i guess. Also try to change the SCSI card that you are using.
DJokinen
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your answer... and sorry for being so unclear. I don't exactly have the same setup as you do, I failed to mention that. I'm using a DAT160 USB drive connected to the motherboards internal USB2 connector. So the drive gets powered up together with the server.
Shoghi Martinez G.
Honored Contributor

Caster, can you run OS level commands to the library, mt, tar to tape or similar?

It seems that you started the library after the system booted and did not reconized it.
Caster Troy
Regular Advisor

I started the library before booting the system, now its fine and i am able to run the backups without any problem.