Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: error 3039: media data error - Data protector express

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

error 3039: media data error - Data protector express

Hi,

I have been struggling with this issue for a few days now...

I keep getting media data errors on my backup tapes in data protector express v3.5 sp2 (around 5 so far).

Below are the steps I have taken so far to try and resolve the issue:

cleaning the drive (more than once)

I ran HP storageworks library and tape tools on the drive using a brand new tape - All tests passed

repairing the database

I then ran a copy job (about 150GB) from a virtual Library to the new tape used in HP SL&TT which worked

Erased the tape - which worked... but the next job I ran on that tape (Identify media) resulted in a failure and another Media Data error.

It seems like too much of a coinsidence for the tapes to all be failing at the same time (they are only around 3 months old and have probably been written to less that 5 times) so could it be a HW problem... or am I going wrong somewhere??
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It seems HW error to me, perhaps you can check the windows event log to track some driver warning/error messages.
Occasional Contributor

"It seems HW error to me, perhaps you can check the windows event log to track some driver warning/error messages."

Thanks for the response...

I have checked the event log and ther was/is nothing of note in there.

...another bit of information that may or may not be useful is that when ever a job is run on a tape that will end up in a media data error DPE will get stuck for a long time "mounting" the tape.