StoreEver Tape Storage
1753403 Members
7541 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: error 4030: illegal request every file i backup

Chan Kim

error 4030: illegal request every file i backup

this has just happened recently, whenever i tried to do a backup i get error 4030:illegal request

im running on windows 2003 svr std, LTO ultrium-2 backup drive and the backup software is data protector express single server edition 3.5 sp1

ive tried restarting the service. ive also tried doing HP tools tests - LTO assessment test, device analysis test, device self test and connectivity test and they all passed successfully.

ive also replaced the backup tape drive still with the same error and i have also reinstalled DPX SSE 3.5 sp1 still no go.

where should i go from here?

Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Chan:

DPX Error 4030 is indicating some type of communication error with your Ultrium-2 tape drive.

Is your tape drive a Standalone tape drive or is it inside an Autoloader? If you have a Standalone tape drive make sure the tape cartridge is inserted into the tape drive before beginning your backup job.

Second, always start with a blank tape cartridge or a quick erased tape cartridge. Let DPX do the formatting of the tape cartridge and setup DPX Device/Media page to "Auto format mode: Format blank media only."

Dave W.

Chan Kim

Thanks dave for the reply.

the tape drive is a standalone ive tried what you suggested but it still comes up with the same error 4030: illegal request. ive have now tried replacing scsi card and cable but still with the same error.

so i decided to take all the hardware and place it into a test machine and it works fine.

im guessing there is a software issue i may need to rebuild the server and start fresh unless there is another solution? =/
D Wong
Regular Advisor

Hi Chan:

If you have installed Windows 2003 SP2, you should make the following registry hack. There is an issue with tape drive backup failures when the storport.sys is any version other than 5.2.3790.3959.

1. Open Windows regedit.
2. Open the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\\\Device Parameters\
3. Add a key named Storport under Device Parameters (if there is not one there already).
4. Add a key name called BusyRetryCount. The key type is REG_DWORD, and the value should be set to 4b hex (75 decimal).
5. Exit Regedit.
6. Reboot the server.

One last possibility. Have you checked that you have the proper termination on your tape drive i.e. do you have a terminator on your tape drive?

Dave W.
Chan Kim

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

the scsi card didnt work on both 64bit PCI slots so i used 32bit PCI slot now all is good

thanks for all that helped!