StoreEver Tape Storage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 4030 while running Data Protector Express

Highlighted

Error 4030 while running Data Protector Express

Hi, I am new to the tape drive deal and currently experiencing some nasty 4030 error everytime I try to back up data. I am using 32 bit HP GL4 series server, that has 2 SCSI's built in. I ran HP StorageWorks Library and Tape tools utility and the hardware passed all of the tests, such as performance, integrity, etc. I also managed to check the device manager to see if I find anything unusual. The drivers appear to be fine, and I didnt see any yellow question marks. The HP server runs windows 2003 for Small Business and has planty of storage space as well as memory space. In addition to that this server has one USB hard drive hooked up to it, and it has 2 internal CD/DVD roms. The 4030 error came up after 2% of backup was completed. I tried restarting the Data Protector Service as well as dpwinsvc service. I also tried restarting the service. I am not gettin anywhere further. Does anyone have any suggestions?
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Error 4030 while running Data Protector Express

Error 4030 means that the backup device received an illegal or unexpected SCSI command.

You didn't say what device you were trying to write to. If it is SCSI, try connecting to the other SCSI connector.

It would also be helpful to know what OS you are running and what version of Data Protector Express you are running.

DL
Highlighted

HP StorageWorks Ultrium 448 is the name of the device. I did notice there is a second controller I just plugged in the SCSI cord from the HP system to the second controller on the Ultrium Tape Drive. I also restarted the service, and trying it again as we speak. Will let u know the result, of what happens next. However, I did notice that the HP Server has 2 SCSI cards. Should I try swapping the cable from one SCSI card to another? If so do I need to erase all the drivers and then after I swap the cables install the drivers again?
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Make sure the tape drive is connected to a controller other than the one used by the disk drives. You should not need to reinstall any drivers.

DL
Highlighted

Ok I tried it again after trying second controller and on the tape drive and was unsuccessfull. The error is still present, I tried rebooting the server no luck, I am still getting this error. By the way I am using Data Protector Express 3.10-sp2 version. Oh yea, by the way because I am new to the tape drive industry I am not even sure if the tape drive suppose to show it self like a letter F G or D when you double click on my computer. I know when u have external hard drive and u double click my computer it shows as part of the letters. However, I am not seeing the tape drive. I know it's there because I can actually view the content of the tape when I am using Data Protector Express, and LLT seems to find the drive too. Am I suppose to see this tape drive when I double click my computer?
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The tape drive will not show up with a drive letter. It will only show up in the Device Manager as a tape device and in a backup application like Data Protector Express.

The next thing I'd try is upgrading to a more recent version of Data Protector Express. The last update of version 3.10 was SP4. The very latest version is 3.50 SP2 which was released today and should be posted to http://hp.com/go/dataprotectorexpress sometime this week.

I'd also check to make sure you have the very latest drives for your tape drive. Find the tape drive in the Device Manager and select the Windows 2003 option to update drivers.

DL