StoreEver Tape Storage
1753792 Members
4059 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Error 4462: The media was not prepared for boot with HP's One-Button Disaster Recovery (OBDR) soluti

SOLVED
Go to solution
SBS Group

Re: Error 4462: The media was not prepared for boot with HP's One-Button Disaster Recovery (OBDR) soluti

I'm having the same error on a brand new ML310 with a USB attached DAT72.
I have 2 questions

1) How to I tell if the Bare Metal Disaster Recovery software is installed as it didn't appear as an option on the Data Protector express CD I have
2) Has anyone got a solution to this problem yet

Thank You
Doug
SBS Group

Re: Error 4462: The media was not prepared for boot with HP's One-Button Disaster Recovery (OBDR) soluti

I've logged a support call with HP for this will let everyone know if they provide a solution that works.
DavidALines
Advisor

Doug,

Sorry about my initial response to you - have you found answers to your questions. I now have a successful backup

AFTER 6 MONTHS

I had given up hope and admittedly I went on holiday and training courses and it was a very slow process.

ANYWAY

If you need help I feel I might be able to help. (which means I will pass on the knowledge I have gleaned from real HP engineers)
SBS Group

Hi David, yes I've managed to get it resolved with HP, only took 5 days. I'm not that happy with the answer I got but it works.
The resolution I was provided with was to change a registry setting because the DR software was having problems with the Language and Keyboard layout I had chosen when I first setup my server.

The response from HP is included here if anyone else is interested.

I have analyzed the DPtrace logs and have noticed the following alerts
07/23/2008 3:12:28 PM Wrg: Unable to open key DRSYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard Layouts\00001409 (2)

Based on that, I suspect may have a problem with incorrect entries in the registry for the keyboard layout

This means that DPX cant find the key in the Windows registry on the system that they are trying to perform the DR backup of.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard Layouts\00001409

It is looking in that location based on the information it finds in the following key
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\Preload

That key will have an entry with a value ├в 00001409├в .

You may be able to resolve the problem by changing the value to a key that exists. For example, on the DPX server in my lab, I have the value ├в 00000409├в in the HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\Preload key, which will make DPX look for the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Keyboard Layouts\00000409 which does exist.

Keep in mind that this is not a problem with DPX. It├в s a problem in the registry.You may choose to use a tool that checks and corrects problems in the registry rather than manually editing it, and they should definitely have a working backup and restore process in place before editing the registry. We cant guarantee this workaround will resolve the problem, and problems can be caused by incorrectly editing the registry.

I disagree with the comment above about it not being a problem with DPX but a registry issue.

Doug
DavidALines
Advisor

I have to tell you that is the exact same "final" issue I had with my installation. In the logs it would always complain about

Error 85: Registry Operation Failure

An unexpected error occurred while accessing the registry. Check the dptrace.txt file for more information.

I changed the preload from 00001409 to 00000409 and the error went away. Didn't even have to restart the server!
ADMLFBP

Hi D Wong

I have exactly the same error "Error 4462: The media was not prepared for boot with HP's One-Button Disaster Recovery (OBDR) solution ..." on my Windows 2003 Server Std Edition FRENCH with HP DataProtector Express v3.50 SP2

So I try the solution about the keyboard issue, but I've always the same issue ...

I downloaded the tool "dpWinSup.exe" that I found on this thread, and I tried to extract the logs files contained in the zip file C:\dpxWinSup.zip, but this zip-file is protected with a password !!!

Could you help me ? I've joined the zip file to this message.

DavidALines
Advisor

This is what eventually fixed my problem - from
Devakumar D
Technical Consultant II
HP Global Solution Centre

David

We believe the problem seen is because DPX is not looking in the root directory of C: for the required bootfiles. Whether this is due to something that has gone wrong with the installation of the software, or due to something unusual on the OS installation, we are unable to tell. It is possible something in the boot sector is non-standard (for example, from previous virus activity). At this stage it looks like the you will probably need to reinstall the DPX software, or possibly even the OS. But we have one last option we can try.

As well as looking in the root of the boot drive, it also checks a few other locations for the required files. Copy the following boot files to the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory.

NTLDR

NTDETECT.COM

BOOT.INI

There is one final file required, BOOTSECT.DAT. This is a copy of the server├в s boot hard drive boot sector. Normally DPX just reads the actual boot sector, but if it can├в t find it for some reason (such as in this case where DPX appears to be looking in the wrong location for the files) it can check for the BOOTSECT.DAT file instead. You can do a search on the server to see if the file exists somewhere. If not, probably the easiest way to generate the file is to install the Windows Recovery Console.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216417

With the Recovery Console installed, the file should be found in the C:\CMDCONS directory. Copy it to the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory with the other boot files.

As a test to see if this will help resolve the problem, you can try copying just the first three files and skip the Recovery Console step. If you perform a backup again we can check the DPTRACE file again to see if DPX was able to find the files in the newly copied location. If it does, then the additional work of installing the Recovery Console can be performed to provide DPX the last file it needs.

ADMLFBP

I tryed your solution but no results ;-(

DavidALines
Advisor

You have already checked under
options,
advanced options,
create dr bootable media
update dr information on selected server

Your runnning this on a HP LTO with HP MEDIA on a HP server?
ADMLFBP

Yes
HP Proliant DL580 G4 +
DAT 72 USB (DW027A) +
HP DAT 72 tapes