Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error while connecting HP MSL 4048 tape library to CentOS 5.3 VM

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Error while connecting HP MSL 4048 tape library to CentOS 5.3 VM

Hi all,

We are trying to connect a HP MSL 4048 tape library to a CentOS 5.3 VM, the VM is able to recognize the library but is unable to perform any operations as it is assuming that the tape library is offline, whereas when we directly check the tape library status it is actually online, My guess is that there is some extra configuration steps which need to be done for attaching a VM ,so please let me know if you find any information in regards to this error.

Please find the attachment.

Regards

Kalyan Kumar P

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Error while connecting HP MSL 4048 tape library to CentOS 5.3 VM

The attachement didn't make it.  I suspect it was not of one of the allowed format.  Attachments are checked to make certain that the file format is one classified as "safe" and if not they are not attached.  The list of "safe" file types is pretty small.

Virtual machines has been problematic as many virtualization layers don't pass through all of the necessary protocol. 

How are you checking the library to see that it is online?

What are you looking at in the VM that reports the library is offline?

I'm not certain if there is anyway to get HP's Library and Tape Tools software running under CentOS as that isn't one of the Linux distributions that we test but some basic queries can be run with mtx.