4100 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ESL 712e Library | Mixed Media Partitioning

Sharjeel Saleem
Regular Advisor

ESL 712e Library | Mixed Media Partitioning

Hi Guru's,

We are using 10 LTO 3 drives in our ESL library. Now we are going to add 2 new LTO4 drives in our ESL. 

For mixed media configuration , we need to create partitions for LTO3 and LTO4 drives in the library. When we are going to create partition all existing configuration and configured backup jobs in this library will be lost. We have configured total 150 plus jobs in our production environment and this is really difficult to re-configure all backup jobs after creating the partitions.

1. Is there any way to take configuration backup of this library and restore once partition created?

2. What if we purchased new LTO 5 drives after 6 months and for this we need to create new partition? Or we can add LTO5 drives in the LTO4 drives library partition?

Regards,

Sharjeel 

6 REPLIES 6

Pls refer section "Configuring the backup application" from the below document,

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00851856/c00851856.pdf

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Sharjeel Saleem
Regular Advisor

Thank you! but that document refers new configuration of partitioned library, wherease i more concerned about previous configuration on 75 servers and more then 150 backup jobs, all configutioan will be lost after creation of partitoning in this library. we cant efford such a big outage and reconfigurations of all backup  jobs.

Regards,

Eemans Dany
Honored Contributor

Hi,

One question, Is your library (ESL 712) in charge of the backup or is a backup server doing this.

I supose it is a backup server, but you are afraid of loosing all the settings in secure manager which allows or disallows a server for connection.

I have also a ESL 712 in mixed configuration so it is possible.

before starting a good backup is mandatory and if possible and you are up to the task, drop a config to a *.TXT file using the CLI interface. This will help you in rebuilding the configuration.

Now, when you add the new drives (LTO4) you need to put them in a new partition, LTO3 and LTO4 can coexist in the same library but not in the same partition. Basically you create a new library in the ESL 712 library.

The question is, is the current config created in a partition or not. I start from the idea it is not, then you need to scratch the entire config and create 2 new partitions (one with the LTO3 drives and one with the LTO4 drives)

Now the TXT files becomes usefull to upload the old config into the new partition, posibly you need to change the paths a bit so it arrives under the correct partition, you backup jobs on the backup server should not be affected but a rediscover of the drives could be needed.

In the case that your current config already exists in a partition, you can add a new partition without the need of erasing the current config. However if you need to change the first partition (adding tapes slots from the first partition to the second) you need to rebuild from scratch.

In the case that you have already the ESL 712 G3, this process is completely transparent.

I hope this helps you on your way

Dany

Sharjeel Saleem
Regular Advisor

Thank you for your response Dany...Yes we are using Data Protector v6.1 application and backups configured through Cell Manager. We will create two partitions in our library, 1 for LTO3 drives and 2 for LTO4 drives and then take configuration backup..

- Configuration backup can work for newly create partition for LTO3 drives? If Yes, after configuration restore we need to discover devices on all connected servers?

- For HPUX servers device paths will be changed after discovering the devices?

- For future partitioning we need to spare slots unused? Otherwise we have to remove the partition again.

Eemans Dany
Honored Contributor

Hi

- Configuration backup can work for newly create partition for LTO3 drives? If Yes, after configuration restore we need to discover devices on all connected servers?

As the config has been erased, the connections are lost also. when they are recreated you need to start a device rediscovery to reconfirm the san paths.

- For HPUX servers device paths will be changed after discovering the devices?

Possible

- For future partitioning we need to spare slots unused? Otherwise we have to remove the partition again.

As a best practische i could be usefull to keep some free unused slots.

Dany

Sharjeel Saleem
Regular Advisor

For HPUX servers device paths will be changed after discovering the devices?

Possible

This is the main problem, If the device paths are chanced we need to take outage for at least 48 hours to rediscover device paths at all host machines and get configure again. My customer will definitely be surprise with all this strange limitation of adding LTO4 drives in new partition :(.

I am not sure, if the library is not restore successfully by configuration backup, then we can see more outage to configure and present drives to host machines..........Brrrrrrrrrr!

Regards,