1753830 Members
9632 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Exchange DPX Option

Darwin Laforteza
Occasional Contributor

Exchange DPX Option

We are currently using DPX with the optional Exchange add-on and want to know if there is a way to restore an Exchange storage group to a different location? We are trying to do this because we want to restore a single mailbox. We tried using the "Move" command but everywhere we try to move the storage group, we get an "Invalid Target" error. It almost seems as though we can only restore the storage group to its original location.
3 REPLIES 3
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Sorry for the delay in responding. I had to check with the development team just to make sure I gave you a correct answer.

Here is their response.

DPX does not support the ability to perform a move restore of Exchange. When Exchange is restored, it is restored in its entirety (no brick level) and it is restored to its original location. Some of our users will move the active store to the Recovery Group, then restore to the active location and use EX-merge to move between the two stores and then remount the active store with the needed content.

Hope that helps.

DL
Darwin Laforteza
Occasional Contributor

Sorry, but I just want to get this straight... First I would move the current active store, say store_a, to the recovery group. Then I would restore the older Exchange store, say store_b, to the original location which would be in the active location. I would then mount store_b and use Exmerge to recover what I need. After recovering what I need, I would then remove store_b from the active location and copy store_a, which is in the recovery group, back to the active location. Did I get this right? During this time that the exchange store is being worked on, what will happen to new emails coming in?
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

I think you have it right, based on what the development team told me. You also have identified a risk of receiving emails that would end up in the wrong system. I'm not an Exchange guru so I can't tell you how but you would need to suspend Exchange untill you had the correct production storage group back.

DL