New Discussion юеВ

Re: File system backup fail, tape media mark as poor

SOLVED
Go to solution
Yazan Yacoub
Regular Advisor

File system backup fail, tape media mark as poor

Hi,
I am using data protector 5.5, windows cell manager. latest patches installed on cell manager and clients machine.

When i start file system backup job, backup start normally, during the process i receive the following msg, and tape media mark as poor, in some cases all objects on tape mark as poor:
msg:
[Major] From: BMA@hq-um-nas-01.umniah.com "HP:Ultrium 2-SCSI_4_hq-um-nas-01" Time: 10/20/2007 9:20:45 PM
[90:51] Tape7:1:2:1C
Cannot write to device (Details unknown.)

[Critical] From: VBDA@hq-um-ev-01.umniah.com "F:" Time: 10/20/2007 9:20:45 PM
Received ABORT request from SM => aborting.

[Critical] From: VBDA@hq-um-ev-01.umniah.com "F:" Time: 10/20/2007 9:20:45 PM
Connection to Media Agent broken => aborting.

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

My immediate thought is that you could be intermittantly loosing commuincation with the drive. Is this across a SAN or is it direct connect?

What out for RSM polling getting in the way (make sure RSM is turned off if you're running Windows). Watch out for any other hosts perhaps running HP-SIM agents.

If you're on Windows, you can find some of these by running Library and Tape Tools and pull a support ticket. Look at the system config info at the top. Also look at the drive health info lower down. Have a look through the ticket in general for any warnings.

Note L&TT also runs on non-Windows but the system checks are limited in this case.

With L&TT you can verify the health of the drive with the drive assessment test and also use the device performance test to model backups without the app in the way. Select full tape in the options.

If you need any help checking the support ticket then post it here and we'll take a look.

Good luck. Richard.
It's more interesting when it's gone wrong
Yazan Yacoub
Regular Advisor

Thanks for your reply,

I am connected to SAN switches, and I am using windows cell manager,

I discovered that RSM is not disabled on Cell manger server ,I have disabled using registry editor.
do I need to disable it on all DP client machines?

I hope that will help,
Thanks
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Yes. Normal method is to go into the services list (manage computer -> services and apps) and disable the service.

RSM polls for any storage and generally disrupts any backups that are going on. If your server can see the tape drive then RSM should be turned off.

On a SAN that can be a real pain! If you're not carefully zoned you could have RSM getting in the way from almost any server.

The LTT ticket will tell you if RSM is off (system config at the top).
Yazan Yacoub
Regular Advisor

I am doing my home work right know and reviewing EBS guide:) , but i still have two questions, 1st one about zoning, i have NSR and EVA controller, host HBAs as well in the same zome, friend of mine advice to keep NSR in a defferent zone than EVA controller, by doing this I will have two zone for each system, one for EVA controllers and host HBA, and 2nd zone for NSR nad host HBA .Another question, I can disable RSM from windows machines, what about HP-UX servers?
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

I'm not an expert on zoning so I'll have to leave your first question. My understanding is you use it to protect parts of the SAN from unwanted interruption such as other polling hosts. It also keeps SAN traffic down which is a good thing. Hopefully the EBS design guide will help here - we test all these examples very thoroughly and then suggest you copy them!

RSM is a Windows service so doesn't apply to HP-UX. Watch out for polling generally but RSM is the worst. Good zone will reduce polling (especially the sort that detects devices and then polls everything it finds!).

New feature in LTT 4.5 (out Nov 12 ish) will check to see if an LTO drive is being *over* polled by checking its own logs. Output will be under device analysis. Have to wait for that one, sorry.
Yazan Yacoub
Regular Advisor

I have disabled tape and library windows driver from device manager for all servers attached to Data Protector.