Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filesystem 96% used by IDB

Highlighted
Regular Advisor

Filesystem 96% used by IDB

Hi Experts!

I installed Data Protector Express in my Linux Server in the following directory
/usr/local/hp/dpx/database
The size of this directory keeps increasing and it is now above the 95% threshold of the '/' root partition (file system)
Is this due to the size of the Internal Database of Data Protector? How can I reduce this?
My backup is a daily differential backup (3 sets '2 tapes each' i.e., every 4th day the oldest set is over written)and
weekly full backup (3 sets '5 tapes each' i.e., every 4th week the oldest set is over written

Please suggest a solution as the root file system is 96% used.
Evil Has Its Winning Ways
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: Filesystem 96% used by IDB

dear
caster
I understand that you want to reduce the size of the date of the protector?
their need to do this and only because he's eating your disk space in / ( root file system ) right?
I recommend the following, create a file system with the size necessary
and copy the entire contents of the directory /usr/local/hp/dpx/ database into this new directory so remembering
it must be mounted in the same way.
what you do is also a cleaning items in the DP which will reduce the size of the base.
Highlighted

Hi,

this helps to stop growing the IDB:
(please make a IDB Backup before the purge!)

omnidbutil -purge -filenames -force

and please take a look at this:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/CoreRedirect.jsp?redirectReason=DocIndexPDF&prodSeriesId=3889913&targetPage=http%3A%2F%2Fbizsupport1.austin.hp.com%2Fbc%2Fdocs%2Fsupport%2FSupportManual%2Fc01698903%2Fc01698903.hires.pdf

Greetings
H.-P.
Highlighted
Regular Advisor

Calandrello,
unfortunately there is no space left on the server that can be assigned or that can be used for a new file system, moreover,
"cleaning items in the DP which will reduce the size of the base" (how is this done? i have never done this before - plz explain) thanks!

Schneider,
the link you provided does not work and what will this force command do? it is a live server and i don't want to get fired - plz help
rgds,
Troy
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Unfortunately there is no command to decrease the size of the
what you should do and a purge of some catalogs for al but the base is less understood?
I suggest that before making qalquer amendment is backed up with Serviçoes omni stopped and copies
physics of all files in the directory
Highlighted

Hi,
you can download a whitepaper:
"HP Data Protector IDB Purge best practices"
from the HP Business Support Center Site.
(Storage Software / HP Data Protector ...)

Take a look at the Online Help:
Internal Database / Maintaining the Internal Database:

Step
Run the omnidbutil -purge -filenames command to purge the IDB filenames. If there are fewer than 5000000 obsolete filenames in the IDB, use the -force option. A forced purge will not remove any protected data from the Data Protector Internal Database.

You can limit the purge to one or more clients by running the following command:

omnidbutil -purge -filenames

Data Protector skips purging filenames on clients that have fewer than 1000000 obsolete filenames. To purge filenames on these clients, use the -force option.

Highlighted

Oh - you are using "Data Protector Express";

Sorry I thought about "Data Protector".

Forget my answers...

H.-P.
Highlighted
Regular Advisor

This is the directory that has eaten up all the space
and in this directory i can only see the files of .dat type (plz open attachment)
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

You can not do a direct backup to tape since we do not have space on the server?
you can use tar or cpio