7128 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how do I identify media w/ Data Protector Express 3.1 Sp4

freshwun
Occasional Contributor

how do I identify media w/ Data Protector Express 3.1 Sp4

Hello,

I just got a 1/8 G2 Autoloader and needed help setting up a schedule on backing up. I want my Friday backups to be stored offsite so I would rotate 4 or 5 Friday tapes(depending on the amount of Friday's in the month) out of the autoloader. Can I set the mailslot to backup on Friday so it is easy to retrieve? How do I identify which tapes are being backed up on which days? What does "Number of rotation sets" and "Next set to use" mean under Schedule in the Interval settings? Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

You put several questions into one posting so let me see if I can answer a few of the easier ones quickly.

First, go to http://hp.com/go/dataprotectorexpress and download the update to Version 3.5 SP2. the link is in the right-hand column under

Support
>>Service Packs and Patches

3.5 SP2 has several usability fixes and a couple of new rotation types that will help you. There are two new wizards for dealing with autoloaders;
- Remove: for moving a tape from a storage slot to the mail slot
- Insert: for moving a tape from the mail slot to an open storage slot

You have to have the tape in a storage slot to use it so the idea of backing up using the tape in the mailslot isn't going to work.

To help understand rotation better, I recommend reading chapters 2 and 3 in the addendum to the users guide that is included in the 3.5 SP2 update. But to briefly answer your questions, the number of sets relates to how many tapes you are going to use in the rotation. For example, if you are going to do a full backup every week and you wanted to keep 4 weeks of tapes you would use 4 sets. If this is the 2ns week of the month then next next set to use would be #2.

Hope that helps some.

DL

freshwun
Occasional Contributor

So how do I identify which tape is Friday's backup?
freshwun
Occasional Contributor

I found a screen under devices that shows the storage slots so I think this may help me distinguish which specific tapes are being used to back up my system.
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

You found it be fore I could answer.

Go to the devices screens and look at the storage slots.

DL
Klyps

Hi,

I also have a 1/8 G2 autloader and was wondering how you overcame this problem. I would like to move my backup tape to the mail slot after a backup but I am unsure how to do so currently. I am running 3.5 SP2.

I tried using a Sort job, but as I have "Invalid - Backup media" (tapes that have been erased and are ready to be used)in the silo it doesn't seem to work too well. Any ideas/thoughts?

Regards,
freshwun
Occasional Contributor

I found the easist way to move tapes is by the web browser interface. You can also use the move command in DPE. I don't think there is a way to automatically move it to the mailslot.
Klyps

Yeah I have been using the move job also when required.

I guess I was really after some kind of scripted of automatic way to send a backup tape to the load port after a backup so that contractors on site can easily identify and remove the tape daily.

I guess I will just resort to sending them the backup completion email which contains the serial number. Just means they need to remember the serial number. I really wanted to make it nice and easy for them.

If you have any other ideas or thoughts on a better way to do this I would love to hear it :)