StoreEver Tape Storage
1753848 Members
8065 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How to backup NFS mounted drive by DataProtector Express

Jacek Hajduk

How to backup NFS mounted drive by DataProtector Express

I look for possibilities to backup NFS mounted drive using HP Data Protector Express software.
My Data Protector is installed on Linux server. Also on this server is mounted using NFS remote disk which I want also backup. During directory/files selection directory with mounted NFS is empty and backup job is failed.
What should be configure to backup NFS files ?
1 REPLY 1
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor

Re: How to backup NFS mounted drive by DataProtector Express

We strongly recommend against backing up mapped drives or NFS mounted volumes, as this has some serious shortcomings. By default support for mapped drives and NFS mounted volumes is disabled in Data Protector Express.

. Only data files can be backed up from the mapped drives and NFS mounted volumes.
. The registry and security information on mapped drives and NFS mounted volumes cannot be backed up.
. You will not be able to restore any applications backed up off of these machines.
. Backing up mapped drives and NFS mounted volumes is also prone to incompatibilities between operating systems, poor performance, and security issues.
. You cannot back up mapped drives or NFS mounted volumes while the Data Protector Express Service is running.
. Mapped drives and NFS mounted volumes are often user specific, so you must be running the Data Protector Express Administrator in order for your mapped drives or NFS mounted volumes to be recognized.
. You must keep the application running in
order to run scheduled backups of mapped drives or NFS mounted volumes.

All that said, it is possible to backup mapped drives and NFS mounted volumes. I have attached the instructions. Please know that this is not the preferred use of the product and you procede at your own risk.

DL