108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to Properly Backup Linux/Centos using DPX and Dat72

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mohd Jaffar
Occasional Contributor

How to Properly Backup Linux/Centos using DPX and Dat72

Currently trying to back up my linux Centos 5 machine (locally) using Data Protetor Express 3.5 Single Server Edition.

Does anyone know how to do this as I have tried many ways and keep getting errors.

Error Example:
File is open or busy. There are about 400+ of these files.

Backup method i used in DPE SSE is using a full backup.

I hope that someone could guide me into getting a succesful backup (steps, procedures)

3 REPLIES 3
D Lancaster
Honored Contributor
Solution

First, the standard disclaimer. Data Protector Express is not supported on CentOS Linux. But, since CentOS 5 is substantially built on RetHat Enterprise 5 which is supported you would think it should work. But as usual, there are no guarantees.

Now on to the real problem. Any backup application (even tar) needs help dealing with files that are open. Some OSes include some type of snapshot capability (VSS in MSWindows) to allow you to freeze the files and then backup the frozen files rather than the live files. Others require external utilities to handle open files.

Unfortunately I do not know of a Linux solution for open files. Perhaps others in the forum can make a recommendation.

DL
Mohd Jaffar
Occasional Contributor

Continuation from topic.
Have checked through the DPX SSE failed count logs. All of the files that have busy errors are from the filesystem sys.

Is there any workaround on this?
Mohd Jaffar
Occasional Contributor

This is the error log