1752855 Members
3975 Online
108790 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 1/8 Autoloader with HP LTO-3

Mark_766
Occasional Contributor

HP 1/8 Autoloader with HP LTO-3

I have just installed the auto loader in windows, I have installed the medium changer drivers that I got off the HP website and the latest HP LTO drivers (off the same page for the autoloader)
I downloaded the Tape Tool and the latest firmware.
I have not installed the firmware yet, as it does not seem to exract the file when i run it, I have installed the other 3, I have put all 8 tapes in and they are in there ok, my problem is when I go to run a job in backup exec the LTO just says in use (in backup exec) after i execute the job, but this never starts and never stops, I log into the web console of the autoloader and it says the LTO is seeking, this never changes. I have to power off the unit to get it back to normal state.
I run the HP tool after this process and it says i cant lock the drive as something else is using it.
What am I doig wrong please help.
Here are the drivers and versions below
Backup Exec 12d (latest updates)
Medium Changer Drivers - 1.7.0.0 29/01/08 HP
LTO 3 - 1.0.5.2 25/09/07 HP
Ultra 320 SCSI 2000 series - 1.24.4.0 09/02/07
Server 2003 Standard SP2

more info

Product ID 1x8 G2 AUTOLDR
Currently Installed Autoloader Firmware 1.80 / 1.80n
Bootcode Firmware Revision 0.60
IP Address 192.168.0.200
MAC Address 001CC47E991C
Autoloader Mode Automatic, Sequential
WWide Node Name 500110A000918E34

Vendor ID HP
Product ID Ultrium 3-SCSI
Serial Number HU108086UK
Firmware Revision D22W
SCSI ID 4
Physical Drive Slot Number 1
SCSI Element Address 1
Autoloader LUN Hosted By Drive Yes
Data Compression Yes
Interface Type SCSI

This is all it says on the left hand side

View Legend
Updated: Monday,7/21/2008 21:39:04
Autoloader Name FLX7E991C
Status Ready
Drive Status Seeking
Slots (Free/Total) 1/ 8
Mailslot Disabled
Autoloader Time 05-03-08 22:13

I am unable to cancel the job in Backup Exec either.
4 REPLIES 4
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Hi Mark probably the problem is with the Tape Drive Driver, you are using HP driver instead of VERITAS driver. Install the driver reboot then run the backup job again.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199881.htm

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Tape Storage DPX
Pablo Alv Siles
Mark_766
Occasional Contributor

I have installed the symantec drivers and now runt he job, but it has been running for 25 mins and is still queued, I log into the web console of the autoloader and the drive says its seeking.
(in backup exec do I select HP2-the autoloader or HP1 the-The Tape drive to run the backup ?, HP2 comes up first then HP1 is under that device) I currently have HP2 selected, I have used amny LTO drive and fault found many issues but this is the first time I have had an auto loader, what can be going wrong here ?
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Try this:

Autoloader mode must be = RANDOM

The SCSI cable needs to be on top SCSI port of the autoloader, on bottom should have a terminator with a Solid green LED.

Run the job and check autoloader if it tries to load the cartridge or whats happening while the job is queued.

It will be good if you use LTT perform a analysis test on both drive and media changer then extract a Support ticket and paste it here.

www.hp.com/support/tapetools

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Tape Storage DPX
Pablo Alv Siles
rwhitaker.cr
HPE Pro

If you still have the queued issue in BackupExec is because it does not have a tape cartridge assign for the job.
Beside the message "Queued" you can see a question mark, where it would indicate the reason why job is queued.
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo