4046 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 1/8 GS Autoloader - Tape Drive problem - Ultrium 3

Larry Caverley
Occasional Advisor

Re: HP 1/8 GS Autoloader - Tape Drive problem - Ultrium 3

Hi Pablo

I did as you suggested...I called HP and they sent a tech out and he replaced the drive but these same errors continue to happen. I am completely stumped at this point. Could this be a problem with the entire auto loader? I used tapes as well that I know are good. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Larry
Atanas
Advisor

Hi, Larry, sorry than i am a little bit poor in english.I hope that i can help you. I checked all attached test. The "Support ticket" is the most impotend log.I saw different problems - the Drive insist on cleaning constantly, RSM was enable,and also the RSM high pooling rate. i sow that your LTO Driver is very new. Sometimes the high pooling reta problems occured because ot the LTO Driver. Do the follow plese :
1.Use only HP tapes.
2.Try "Power cleaning" - 5 times in a row.
3.Try this one:
HP├в s Ultrium tape driver, Hplto.sys v1.0.3.0, disabled RSM polling as a consequence of the driver

installation. The v1.0.3.1 version of the driver has

re-enabled RSM polling.

If you are wishing to disable RSM polling should complete the steps below. Future driver releases,

beginning with the 1.0.4.0 driver kit, will not modify this parameter.

1. Install the 1.0.4.0 or later driver.

2. Disable device polling in the system registry by completing one of the two steps below:

a. The driver package contains a DisableAutoRun.reg file that can used to modify the system registry

and disable RSM polling. Logged into the system as a user with Administrative privileges and

double-click on the DisableAutoRun.reg file. The system will prompt by asking ├в Are you sure you

want to add the information in c:\tmp\DisableAutoRun.reg to the registry?├в (Path information will

vary depending on where the .reg file is stored.) Responding ├в Y├в or ├в Yes├в will modify the

appropriate registry entry to disable polling.

b. If the driver package does not include the DisableAutoRun.reg file, manually edit the system registry

using RegEdit. Logged into the system as a user with Administrative privileges, run RegEdit, and

navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\hplto.

To disable RSM polling, edit the AutoRun value found in this key. A value of 0 (zero) indicates that polling is disabled; a value of 1 indicates that polling is enabled.

3. After completing steps 1 and 2, reboot the affected system

4.Check your cable and HBA

5.If the Problem exist just use another HBA Controller. There is no problem with the Drive.

Larry Caverley
Occasional Advisor

Hi...thank you for your reponse. I'll have to admitt I'm having a little trouble following your procedure. However, my real question is why would I have to go and make these things in the first place? As stated in my original posting this unit worked fine for nearly a year and I did not make any hardware or software changes prior to this problem occuring. So in my mind if nothing was changed why would I have to go and change driver settings etc when it worked with these settings before. There has to be something else at work here...