6738 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp 1760 tape drive: Urgent HELP

Naveed Anwar 4u
Advisor

hp 1760 tape drive: Urgent HELP

Hi
I am using MS Windows Server 2003. I have 1760 SAS TAPE DRIVE but i can not use it properly. I have also installed the 60 days trial version of the HP Data Protect Express but not success.
I face the following issues even i have tried to install the software form the web site.
1. Not detecting the Tape, i can not see tape drive in MY COMPUTER
2. I go to Administrative Tools > Disk Management > Removeable Storage, here i was able to found it but with a smal red cross, i have checked the Removeable storage and it was disabbled, i started it.
3. When i use the HP Data Protect software and try to use the Tape , i can not use it, i run the media check test but got error that MEDIAL IS OFLINE or MEDIA is NOT READY.

.... can some one let me know how i can fix it ... also let me know i am not sure if i can see the tape drive in MY COMPUTER or not ? and how i can fix the offline device error message.

11 REPLIES 11
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

The place to look for the tape drive is under device manager. You should see it listed under 'Tape drives'.

Did you install the driver for it? That can be found under hp.com in the support section. This is where you get to: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3663386&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3663381&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005

Once it shows up under Device Manager you can run our L&TT diagnostic to check it's working/talking OK independent of the backup application. That's available from http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools.

If you get that far but DP can't talk to it then you've probably got an issue with the setup of DP but I'm not so familiar with that.

Hope you can at least get to see the drive!
It's more interesting when it's gone wrong
Naveed Anwar 4u
Advisor

hi

I can see the tape drive under that software but with a small cross over it, also the support Tab is disabled/grayed. Any suggestions?
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

It looks like LTT can see it but it's not installed sufficiently to make use of it.

Does it show up under device manager? What do you see under Tape Drives in device manager?
Naveed Anwar 4u
Advisor

Hi

Thxs for reply, yes it looks normal under device manager. No issue found in device manger
Naveed Anwar 4u
Advisor

Also not worked with the Symentic Backup Exec 12,5 , i am attaching the snapshot
thomasr
Respected Contributor

Make sure you remove the BackupExec drivers. They will try to 'own' the tape drive, preventing Data Protector Express from using it.
--
Liberty breeds responsibility; Government breeds dependence
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

When you first run LTT (make sure you use latest version) it will detect the background services of the major backup apps and tell you if any of these are running. They will lock the driver so nothing else can talk to the drive - including LTT.

If you don't get any warnings from LTT then continue with the scan and see if you can run the device performance test.

You should see your drive referred to as Tape0 or Tape1 under device manager. Is that the case for you? You'll need the drivers installed for that.

Your drive is out there somewhere!
Naveed Anwar 4u
Advisor

Hi

Yhxs for reply, yes i am using the latest LTT and tape drive also OK under device manger, then i am wondering how i can fix it.
Have you checked the attached stuff?
meloni
Honored Contributor

Where is connected the drive?
if you have a raid sas controller, may be you need to add the micro$oft fix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943545/

see hp doc: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01151607&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=463702

Marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)