3749 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP D2D130 with integrated Ultrium 920 SAS drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Stewart Longmuir

HP D2D130 with integrated Ultrium 920 SAS drive

I've had this unit for a fortnight and I'm tearing my hair out with it. HP support have been shocking as not one person has actually tried to resolve my issue, instead all I get is "someone will call you back".

Anyway, I have two servers connected to this unit (one W2k and one W2k3 x64) and my problem is that neither of them can write to the LTO3 drive. Device manager sees both the drive and changer elements. When I am connected to the management interface of the D2D130, I can successfully copy a disk slot off to the tape drive so the drive itself must be ok. I think the problem is down to the SCSI ID's, as when I check the details of the unit from my servers the autoloader has an ID of 1 and the LTO3 drive has an ID of 0.

I have run the HP Tape Tools on it from both servers and both pass the connectivity test, but both fail the read/write test as it reports that there is no tape in the drive, when there is. It seems to see the hardware but not the contents.

I can't for the life of me see where I can change the SCSI ID of the drive to a higher value. Can any of you help me with this?

Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7
Stewart Longmuir

As an update, I've just read that you can't change the ID of SAS drives? Is this correct, and if so would there be any other possible reason for my problem?
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hi Stewart

Problem is OS wont be able to see your physical Ultrium 920 tape drive, you get to see only emulated autoloader from D2D.

You need to use D2D manager in order for you to copy a virtual media in a physical Tape Cartridge.

*Make sure you have the latest firmware on your d2d that way you can have LTO3 media emulated by the d2d.

I believed you have call after hours, call during bussines hours Tape Storage has very good dpe support.

Regards

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Stewart Longmuir

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know this to be fact about not seeing the physical LTO3 drive? I had a horrible feeling that that might be the case.

I was planning on scheduling my backups to disk and then automatically off to tape, without having to log in to the D2D management interface and having to do the copy off from there.

I have spoken to HP tape support numerous times over the last fortnight and they have been hopeless. Surely they should have been able to tell me about not seeing the physical drive right away? I guess I've been wasting my time for the last two weeks!
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

There is no way the OS or dpe would see the Tape Drive inside of the d2d, make sure you have LTO3 media emulated on the d2d so you can copy 800GB to physical tape cartridge.

dpe support should have told you this right away...

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Stewart Longmuir

Thank you very much for that!

My servers do see the slots and the emulated LTO3. Initially my W2K box couldn't see both components through the iScsi initiator when I was using G2 Autloader emulation on the D2D and my backups would run but fail when they went to verify, but when I changed this to the D2DBS they run and verify perfectly. This must be a W2K driver issue, but HP support couldn't help me with this either.

Could I ask why my physical drive can't be seen by my servers? I just assumed that I should be able to use that drive like the LTO1 drive I have connected to my server at the moment.

My problem has apparently been escalated to the Level 2 team, so it will be interesting to see what they come back to me with, if they ever do.

Once again, thanks for confirming what I suspected!

Stewart
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

iSCSI will only present virtual devices to the Server.

You can check the time when the backup job usually finishes, then schedule a copy media on the d2d manager, this way the operation will be perform automatically.

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Stewart Longmuir

Thanks again, for confirming that I've just wasted two weeks of my time!

Regards,

Stewart Longmuir