3552 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP DAT 72 Problem with DAT7 72 tapes but ok with DAT 40

tong826
Occasional Advisor

HP DAT 72 Problem with DAT7 72 tapes but ok with DAT 40

Good day!
We have an HP DAT72 Internal SCSI Tape Drive. Whenever we use a DAT 72 tape for backup, the clean LED lights up after the rewind. We already cleaned it several times but still the same problem occurs. We've already tried 6 used DAT72 tapes which were working before. We also tried 2 new DAT 72 tapes but the same problem happens. We have no problem backing up to a DAT 40 tape using the same tape drive.
Using the HP StorageWorks library and tape tools - 4.7 with one of the DAT 72 tapes loaded, the following message appears, "The test failed for something which could be due to a bad test tape or the drive needing cleaning. If the test still fails after cleaning the drive and using a new test tap, then the drive should be considered defective". Does this mean that all our DAT 72 tapes are already malfunctioning? This already happened before, but we just reboot the server and the problem was solved. But this does not work for us now. Have anybody encountered this before?
By the way, we are using HP tapes.
8 REPLIES 8
Vernny
Advisor

Hi Tong826, I hope you're doing well.

For this issue I will recommend the following:

- Clean your Dat72 5 times in a roll
- After you clean it, Run a DDS Drive Assesment Test and check if there is any changes after test finishes

If you want, you can put a support ticket from HP L&TT in this Forum so I can check it:
- Select the drive in LTT
- Click in "support", then "extract device data"
- Click "save support ticket" and put it in your desktop in order to upload it

Regards,
Vernny D.
tong826
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Vernny, we'll try that out. Just got our new cleaning cartridges.
tong826
Occasional Advisor

Hi Vernny,

We cleaned the tape drive 5x as instructed, but the problem was not solved. I've attached the file as requested. Hope we could find a solution to this. Thanks.

Tong
Vernny
Advisor

Hi,

I will suggest applying this changes in your server. This applies for all Windows Servers:

- Start Removable Storage Service, Stop it and then disable it. Also create a new Registry Fix using a DWORD value set to 0 called "AutoRun" in drivers of Symantec. See link below:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842411

Apply fix in:
halfinchVRTS
tpfilter
hplto
hpuln32

Follow this path in "regedit" and you will find the drivers mentioned above:
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

- Verify if you have under Control Panel a software called HP Management Agents, if yes, disable "fiber agent tape" feature. See link below:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01229672&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

- If HP Management Agents is installed, disable the following Services from Windows:
* HP Insight NIC
* HP Insight Foundation
* HP Insight Storage
* HP Insight Server
* HP Insight Event Notifier

This should resolve your issue.

Regards,
Vernny D.
(points will be appreciated)
tong826
Occasional Advisor

Hi Vernny,

We did as you suggested, but we don't have any Symantec drivers installed. We also don't have HP Management Agents installed.

What we did is to create an Autorun entry in the registry as suggested by the link you provided in the HPDAT service and set it to disable. This did not solve our problem. We also tried to uninstall and reinstall the tape drive. It did recognize our old DAT72 tape once, then it reproduced the same problem again. We are able to backup to DAT40 tapes but it will still not recognize DAT72 tapes, whether new or old.

Tong
Vernny
Advisor

Hi,

I will suggest to contact HP Support, I think that tape drive might need to be replace. Maybe heads in drive are not longer working properly.

Regards,
Vernny D.
g2

Good day,
I am having the same problem I have (2) dat72 drives -- I can use both of the drives with dat 40 tapes -- no problems (good backups and verifys). If I use dat 72 tapes (from multiple purchase dates) tape drive cleaning light comes on and backup fails. Cleaning tape drive does not correct problem. Does anyone know of a solution?
Thanks
tong826
Occasional Advisor

Our SCSI DAT 72 drive eventually failed to even read DAT72 tapes. Since it is already out of warranty, we decided to buy a new tape drive to replace it. We bought a DAT160 USB tape drive.