Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP data protector express 3.1 sp4

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

HP data protector express 3.1 sp4

hello,
advance thanks to everyone who can help me....
i am using dpe 3.10 sp4 in win server 2003.
i have 4 daly set tapes , 4 weekly sets, and two monthly , quarter year, half year, third quarter and yearly tapes.
the problem is with media/device option.
how can i configure these tapes to take backup. i am getting an error no:1047 No media specified. please help me to configure these tapes.

regards
riyas
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Regular Advisor

Re: HP data protector express 3.1 sp4

Hi Riyas:

1. Create 4 daily backup jobs Mon_daily, Tues_daily, Wed_daily, Thurs_daily.

2. Start first week of daily backup jobs with blank or quick erased tape cartridges. Setup the Device/Media page for "Auto format mode: Format blank media only". Setup Options page for "Write Mode: Overwrite all media". This will make DPX overwrite the tape cartridge for each week day backup job. The daily backup knows to use the correct tape media and will overwrite that specific tape cartridge each week.

3. Create your weekly backup job very similar to the above but call your 4 backup jobs: Week1, Week2, Week3, Week4. You may need more tapes for example the Week5. You did not say if you wanted to append to the 4 tapes. If you did want to append to these 4 weekly tapes cartridges, you would have 4 blank tapes and allow DPX to select and format up to 4 blank tapes in the Scheduling page for this backup job. On the Options page change the "Wrote mode: Append to all media". If you use this type of rotation, you are responsible for knowing when your 4 cartridges set is full.

4. Same process to create the two monthly backup jobs.

5. Create separate backup jobs for each quarterly backup - keeping data for all 4 quarterly tapes. Or, overwrite the quarterly tape cartridge after each quarter. So, only keeping 1 quarterly tape cartridge worth of data.

You did not mention the size of your library so I was not sure how many cartridges you had available.

Regards,
Dave W.

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

thanks dave,
iyou are telling me to configure different jobs for daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly.ok. let me check it out and contact you later. once again thanks.let me know about the upgradation procedure of DPE. now i hav DPE 3.10 sp4 SSE. can i update this software with existing license. or need to purchase another license?

regards,
riyas
Highlighted
Regular Advisor

Hi Riyas:

If you have an existing DPX 3.1 license, then you can upgrade to DPX 3.5 SP2. This is the latest 3.x version of DPX software.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=1144272&prodNameId=1144275&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=co-58946-1

If you want to used DPX 4.x, then you need to purchase an upgrade license, or a DPX Support contract, or a new tape drive product to get DPX 4.x and newer.

Dave W.
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

hi dave,
i almost configure my backup job. now i am getting an Error 1400: Alert - Wrong media. why is this happening. i hav 72gb tape and already have 36gb data in it.
can u help me please.
regards
riyas
Highlighted
Regular Advisor

Hi Riyas:

You are getting Error 1400 because DPX thinks the wrong tape cartridge is loaded into the tape drive.

DPX is very specific about the tape cartridge used for its backup job. If the tape cartridge is not the correctly labeled tape or located in the wrong library slot for this backup job, you will get the Error 1400.

1) Start with a Quick Erased tape cartridge and allow DPX to Auto Format the specific tape cartridge for your backup job. For example, on Properties page for the backup job, select "Device/Media" page, set "Auto format mode: Format blank media only".

2) On the "Options" page select "Write mode: Overwrite all media". This will allow this backup job to re-use the same cartridge each time this backup job is run and overwrite the data.

After you get the basic backup job settings working correctly, then you can then modify the settings as you want, for example to continue to appending data to the same tape cartridge. However, then you are responsible for knowing when the tape cartridge becomes full.

Dave W.

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

ok dave...... thanks. thanks a lot. now its working . i am closing tis thread. ok bye see u later
regards
riyas
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

hi.
just one more problem with my tape ......
i am using HP DAT72 tapes. when i am running full backup 55 GB of data were selected but only 36GB is completed, then showing the error:4008 Media full. why this . i am using hardware compression only.
seeking fast eply.
regards,
riyas