108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hp Data Protector Express 3.5SP2 Tape Preparation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gavinm
Advisor

Hp Data Protector Express 3.5SP2 Tape Preparation

Hi, I'm having problems getting a rotation schedule to work with Data Protector Express 3.5SP2 after upgrading from 3.10 and think it is due to my tape preperation. I need a simple-6 rotation but have old tapes to use. I have erased them then formatted them, placing them in a new folder called 'New Media'! When I create the scheduled rotation I choose the device and the 'New Media' but I keep getting 1401 errors 'Suitable Media Not Found'. What am I doing wrong? In the Media to use pane, I add all new media as in (New Media, New Media 1, New Media 2 etc)See Attachment
Any help will be appreciated!
Gavin
8 REPLIES 8
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Gavin if you are meking a simple 6 then instead of adding the medias over device/media go to JOBS and MEDIAS and then right click on your format job then move medias to simple 6 rotaton folders.

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Gavinm
Advisor

Thanks Pablo but after I've moved the 'New Media' to the rotation folders, what should I rename them to and how will DPX know what to use?

Gavin
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Go to schedule and see where DPE looks for medias it will use any media store on that folder.

You can also do a No Rotation so dpe uses any media available

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Gavinm
Advisor

The backup still fails so I think it is something that I'm doing wrong in the preperation of the old (not old but used) tapes. I thought I could just erase and then format them placing them in the Admin folder for backups. When I run a rotation job for the first time, do I have to do a normal backup first and then change the backup properties to a rotation schedule?
Thanks
Gavin
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

Take a look at this pic this is kind of what you need to be seen over Jobs and media under the job.

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Gavinm
Advisor

Thanks so far for the help Pablo! My rotation folders can be seen in the attachment. This seems to be working ok with 'Full Backups' on the Weekly rotation and 'Incremental' on the Daily rotation. I now need to increase the number of files that are being selected meaning that I will have to add 'New Media' for the Weekly Set 1 and Set 2 backups. Can I just erase and format 'New Media'then place them in the weekly folders or do they have to be named something specific e.g. 'Weekly Set 1xxx'?

Thanks again

Gavin
TapeDrive Killer 1 2
Trusted Contributor

You can do both

1. Format Media then move media to folders

2. Erase Tape Cartridges and then when backup runs Tape name will be something like weekly set 1:1 or weekly Set 1:2

*I advice you to format medias not with New Media name but with same label as you have on the out side of the cartridges. For Example Friday Full Week A

Pablo Alvarado Siles
Pablo Alv Siles
Gavinm
Advisor

Thanks Pablo for all your help. I think everything is running ok now, just got to wait a full week or so to check all backups.
One extra thing I did for others reading this post is add the 3.50-sp2-37634.iso hotfix. I thought I'd already done it but hadn't! I've hopefully assigned you points where due correctly.

Gavin