3402 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP LTO-4 Ultrium 1760 troubleshooting

mp00172
Regular Visitor

HP LTO-4 Ultrium 1760 troubleshooting

Hello!

I have HP LTO-4 Ultrium 1760 drive connected to a Mac Pro. The drive works normally with BRU software, but HPE StoreOpen Standalone reports "Found unsupported product Ultrium-4 SCSI". I heard that maybe installing latest firmware would solve the problem, but I don't know how to get it from HPE support website.

Can anyone help me, please???

Thank you in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
tapelibraryfixr
Trusted Contributor

what firmware do you currently have?

mp00172
Regular Visitor

It says "Revision: U64D", if that's it.

Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

HPE StoreOpen Standalone is not compatible with LTO-4 drives.  The "Found unsupported product" message is supposed to provide that information but obviously can be interpreted to mean that something like a firmware update would enable something that would make it work.  In this case no updates could enable it even if HPE wanted to do that.  The storage method used by HPE StoreOpen Standalone, LTFS, requires a feature called partitioning that is only possible with LTO-5 and newer drives as it required changes to both the media and the drives. 

Here is a snip from the StoreOpen Standalone FAQ:

Why does not HPE StoreOpen Automation work with libraries containing LTO-4 or earlier drives?

HPE StoreOpen Automation relies on a drive feature called partitioning, which was added to the LTO-5 format. It is not part of the LTO-4 or earlier tape formats and they cannot be used.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=1009214665&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c04998423

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

mp00172
Regular Visitor

Thank you, Curtis! :)

Is there anything I can do to use the drive? It's in very good condition, it's fully functional and it would be a great relief for me if I could use it as a backup solution. Fact is I got it pretty cheap and I cannot afford an LTO-5 or newer, as they are still pretty expensive for me. Is there anything you could suggest me?

Thank you in advance!

Curtis_Ballard
HPE Pro

If you have access to any backup or archive software that doesn't use LTFS this drive can be used with that software.  Almost no backup applications use LTFS.  Lots of archive software uses LTFS but frequently archival software will have other file formats available as well.  There are some opensource backup applications available that might work for you and the typical Linux tools, tar, mt, etc. will work with that tape drive.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo